It's Fall

Thread: It's Fall

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default It's Fall

Man is it cold outside right now. We spent last night putting away all of our summer projects that have filled the nature table. We then brought out the pumpkins, witches, and leaves to decorate the table with fall items. The fairies have moved inside their houses but the doors are still open. In a couple of months we will close the doors on the fairy homes. My son spent a great deal of time arranging and rearranging everything on the table until it was just the way he wanted it.

What special things do you do to welcome fall into your home? Are there special traditions you follow year after year? Did you do anything extra this year?

Welcome to the cooler weather.

Kathi
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Kess is offline Member

Default Re: It's Fall

We don't do anything special for the fall. But, I just wanted to mention that for the first time my DD doesn't hate the fall. She always hated it because it meant school started. This is our first year homeschooling and she is so much more relaxed and joyful. Now she can't wait until the leaves change color, and later on when the snow comes!

Kess

Blog Entries

I'm so glad your daughter is now looking forward to fall. It is my favorite time of the year. I don't like winter at all. I'm glad she likes being home with mom. It's the greatest.

Kathi

NJMomOf3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi! This is my first time posting on the forum..any of the forums here on T4L.
    Just wanted to jump in
    We really don't have anything special we do for fall besides apple and pumpkin picking, but we didnt even get to do that this year. I'm just trying to get in my tropical plants before they freeze to death out there (the other fall ritual). This is my first year homeschooling all 3 of my kids, and wow does it take alot more time than just homeschooling one, lol. Now all plant detail has to be put off till 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
    Kathi, I'd love to see a pic of your fall table! Are we allowed to post pix here?
    I see there is a box to attach files..
    I dont like winter either...blech! I wish we could skip right to spring!

Kess, I am seeing the same thing with my daughter. This is her first year homeschooling as well, (She's in 5th grade) and I am seeing such a difference in her. Before she was always coming home in a nasty mood, she became a snobby lil brat in school. (you can see your children change right when they start kindergarten, they aren't the child you raised anymore..they kinda like, morph into the kids around them at school, pick up all the bad habits, nasty talk, etc.) Now that she isnt exposed to all the nasty attitudes of the other kids in school..I see she is quickly becoming my kind, sweet, well mannered happy daughter again. No stress from rushing in the mornings to get out the door in time, I have more patience with all the kids cuz we don't have to deal with the after school stress of homework, and them coming home in foul moods. Before, when they went to school, there was always so much yelling and fighting..not anymore!
    Besides all that, she is enjoying her school work now. SHe always had a hard time in math, and the school just kept pushing her ahead when she wasnt ready..now we can work one on one at her learning pace..she's a much happier child, and it's all sinking in. YAY!! \/

I love homeschooling..it makes such a difference in the whole household. Everyone is happier, not to mention healthier!!!

O, BTW, my kids;
    13 year old son
    10 year old daughter
    5 year old daughter

OK, I'll stop rambling now, lol
    Nice to meet you two!
    Dani
    Dani

Blog Entries

Please keep rambling. I love reading about everyone. This board hasn't been very busy yet. I hope we are able to start getting chatty.

Kathi

Kess is offline Member

Welcome to the board, Dani. Nice to meet you!

It’s so great to see such a change in attitudes and moods! My DD picked up some attitudes as well in school. I am also so relieved not to have the stress of homework and after school projects and such. She got a lot of homework and it was overwhelming for the BOTH of us. We would both get in bad moods. Plus, she hated school so much she would give herself a stomachache almost every morning before school. What a relief to not have to deal with any of that anymore!

I see such a difference in her now. We are both more relaxed and much less stressed out! I am so happy I found T4L!

Kess

NJMomOf3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Kathi, I hope so too! I will try to pop in every day. Weather is so nice right now, finally the kids were able to go out and play!

Kess, my son was the same way starting 5th grade. Every morning it was the same thing, and we'd practically have to drag him out of the car. I felt terrible doing it, forcing him to go like that, DH kept saying I should homeschool, but at the time i really didn't feel I could teach him properly. In 5th grade he was already in accelerated math, and it was beyond what I had done in high school! Then he got better about it in 6th grade, but he was always so stressed, and becoming an introvert. I didnt like what I was seeing happening to him, though he claimed he had no problems in school, except for the teachers, lol. I started doing research about homeschooling, without the computer, and programs like T4L, I def dont think I could do it, lol. So, I started with him in January of this year. There's such a change in him too, for the better of course.

It's so nice to see them happy, and wanting to do their work, instead of all the homework overload, and stress from it. And all my kids get along great now, the older ones help the younger ones with their work..it's like I'm not even in the same house anymore...who are these wonderful children?

Kathi, did your son ever go to school or have you always home schooled? Do you just have your son or do you have more children?

Kess, how old is your DD?

I also have to say that there's also so much of a difference in their health. Normally by the second week of school, everyone would be sick, it seemed we were all always sick..except for summer when they were out of school. Now..no one has been sick since May! *knock on wood*

O I have a question..how long until my posts don't have to be approved anymore? Will that ever stop? Last night I was checking in, and didnt see my post, but saw your reply to it, Kathi..I thought maybe there was something wrong, like the page wasnt loading correctly, but I knew it had to really be there since you replied. I wasnt able to see my post up there till today.

I like these smilies

Dani
    Dani

Kess is offline Member

My DD is in 7th Grade and she is 12. She's been begging me to homeschool since kindergarten, but I never thought I was capable of doing it. I started doing some research and found T4L. I knew she would love it because she loves the computer, and I would love it because it makes everything so easy for me. I was so excited when I found it. I was still petrified when we first started, but it has been going great! If it wasn't for T4L I probably never would have homeschooled her. I'm so grateful to T4L!

Kess

Kess is offline Member

Oh, I think it only takes a day or two until you start seeing your posts right way.

Kess

Blog Entries

I'll check with the forum leaders about moderated posts. I'm not sure when that changes.

Dakota has never been to school. He was in day care though. And we had many of the same issues the rest of you have talked about. He was sick all the time and he had serious attitude problems. He also was learning about things we really weren't ready for him to be dealing with. The biggest problem was the racism we faced in day care. I couldn't believe how some little four year olds were acting. My son is Latino. Kids were saying that they couldn't play with him because he wasn't white. I never expected that.

Dakota is the only child at home. I have five others but they are much much older and all went to school. My daughter is homeschooling her three children. She uses T4L as well.

Kathi