Proposed Change in New Jersey Homeschool Law
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Proposed Change in New Jersey Homeschool Law

As a New Jersey Homeschooling Parent I have some concerns about this new law that Senator Weinberg is proposing. I wonder what the rest of you think about this. Let's get some discussion going.

Putting a Face to New Jersey's Homeschooled Students - Matawan-Aberdeen, NJ Patch
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

HDavison is offline Junior Member

Default Appalling!

I find this absolutely appalling. She is trying to dictate what we do with OUR children, and (as the article states) "using homeschooling families as a scapegoat for the short-comings of DYFS" (verbatim) I find that statement to 110% true.

What we choose to do with OUR children in OUR home is OUR business. The state should have NO legal right to force us to submit paperwork or registration forms with the town's school (isn't the whole point of homeschooling to NOT be associated with the public school system??) nor submit medical examination forms to the state to prove that we're caring for our children. (as if insinuating homeschooling families are neglecting our children's health & welfare.)

As I read this article, I couldn't help but wonder if this legislation was created out of a guilt of sorts on Senator Weinberg's part. As a working mother, I highly doubt that Senator Weinberg had the opportunity to attend her child(ren)'s school functions at will, or spend quality time with her child(ren) at home to complete homework. To me, this seems like a blatant attack at mother & fathers who have the opportunity & privilege of staying home with their children and giving them the education that we believe is in their best interest. Perhaps, with tighter restrictions against homeschooling families, many will give up their quest to homeschool & enroll their child(ren) in public schools....therefore, boosting the Federal funding the State receives for education.

I will definitely be attending any protests against this bogus legislation!

Blog Entries

She actually lives in my town. I don't know if she has children in the public schools or not. This is definitely an attempt to force laws on us that are unneeded and unwelcome. We are actually in one of the few states that have no regulations. And I for one, want to keep it that way. THis is her second attempt to get this law passed. All we can hope to do is to vote her out of office before she does any real damage.

Dee113 Guest

Default Shouldn't the children be protected?

I know a women that has decided to homeschool her children but can't afford to buy supplies, books, or workbooks for them. So according to her children they spend most of their time just sitting around......how is this preparing them for their future? And since according to NJ "no regulations" no one can do anything to help these children. What chance do they have. I know there are parents that take homeschooling very serious so regulations shouldn't cause any trouble for them, but the lazy parents should have to answer to someone.

Blog Entries

Lazy parents are just that lazy parents. They can be lazy parents who send their children to school but don't help them do homework or follow through on anything. And there are lazy parents who say they are homeschooling when they actually are doing nothing. I don't know that the law changing will change anything with these parents. Even though there are no regulations in New Jersey, there is such a thing as educational neglect. If there is suspicion that the family is not really homeschooling, they can be investigated for neglect. To say you can't afford to homeschool is no excuse. If they truly feel that they can't afford to homeschool they should have their kids in school. On the other hand there are so many free programs out there that no one can say that they can't afford it. There is this wonderful place called the public library. It's totally free and is full of books, books, and more books. There are so many online programs that are free. Learning Games For Kids, Spelling City, Khan Academy, Starfall. And free tv shows like Mythbusters, How It's Made, The History Channel, The Nature Channel. Money is no excuse for not providing your children with a good free education.