Public School Vs. Home Schooling
    Glenn is offline Junior Member

Default Public School Vs. Home Schooling

I would appreciate any help regarding Home Schooling. My son starts kindergarten today and found out he is required to wear a uniform. I personally do not like the idea of him having to wear a uniform. He should be able to express himself and have a good school year. He also has a heart condition that needs to be monitored which I also take into consideration. I am debating on the idea of having him be home schooled. My son is very smart and is doing work of a 1st grader at home, which will make what he is learning now boring and get him furstrated. In New Jersey it is a school dress code policy but not a law that could be enforced. My son is very well kept and behaved so the school can not pull any issues in that regard. I want my son to socialize and be himself and do not feel he can do that in the public school system where we live.
    Would homeschooling be realistic?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Glenn, I certainly can't give an unbiased opinion on the subject of homeschooling. For my family it is the best possible solution. I also want my son to have the ability to express himself and be himself. I don't think I would tolerate school uniforms either. It is bad enough that they want to put everyone in a little box and expect them to learn the same thing at the same time just because they are the same age. Now they want them to dress alike and look alike.

One of the first things I would recommend is that you get connected with a good homeschool support group. If you look at one of the first few links on this forum you will find a post that has resources in New Jersey. Find some in your area and check them out. Not every group is a good fit for every family. (Surprise, we don't all fit in the same box.) It is important that your son spend time around other homeschooled kids.

We love time4learning. You could give it a try. One of the great things is that you can place your child up or down a level so that you can be sure he is getting what he needs.

If you or your spouse/partner can stay home with your child, I would do it. You can always put him in school later if you find it isn't working for your family.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

6DillPickles is offline Junior Member Newbie

As a newer mom to 6 homeschooled children, it is very realistic. Start now and don't look back!

Good Luck!

Blog Entries

Thanks DillPickles. I wanted to say that but didn't want to appear too pushy.

Glenn is offline Junior Member

I aprpeciate all your help. My son Ethan just started school yesterday but am looking into the homeschool idea. Also the fact I am having another son beginning of November I think it would be realistic if I stayed home with the baby and Ethan. I just want to make sure he gets his school work completed and is on the same level as all the other kids. Its crazy going to his school and seeing metal grates on some of the windows. (the reason for that is due to basketball court oustide those classrooms. I joked with my wife that it looked like a prison. Then on the second floor you see the children looking out the window like they wanted to jump out or just cry. At the moment I am just torn on what decision I should make.

Blog Entries

It's a decision many of us have struggled with. For my son, I knew from the beginning that we would homeschool. Based on my troubles in school and my husband's and how much my older children hated school, I knew my little one would not go to school. You are so right about the bars looking like a prison. I don't want my child in prison. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your family.