Rethinking Our Routine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Rethinking Our Routine

Are you re-thinking anything about your homeschool approach so far this year? What do you plan on doing differently/the same next year?

We probably will continue pretty much the same as we have been. It's been a pretty busy year for us so we have gotten a bit behind in our homeschooling. So I guess if anything we would like to catch up a bit. But we will continue to do Time4Learning Math and Language Arts. We will probably start science and social studies as well. Then we will continue to take classes at the Nature Center and at Beczak Environmental Center. I love our classes there. We also do a bit of work in workbooks to get some practice writing. ANd going to as many events with our homeschool group as we can. We love the Musuems and the Theaters the most.

Tell us about your plans for the coming year.

Kathi
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rethinking Our Routine

We are adding a couple of things to our routine. Dakota is getting a keyboard for the Holidays so we will be adding piano lessons soon. Also, our neighbor is going to start teaching him Spanish after the first of the year. I think that will add to his education nicely.

Is anyone else doing anything like this?

Kathi

Kess is offline Member

That's great that you have a neighbor to teach Spanish. That's probably the best way to learn. I will probably add Spanish next year to our routine, maybe Rosetta Stone or similar. Otherwise, everything else will remain the same.

Kess

Blog Entries

I'm pretty excited about this. She is 15 and from Ecuador. I'm going to write a letter to her school so she can get community service credit for it. I know a little Spanish, but not much. Two years in High School and two years in College. You would never know it now.

Kathi

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Everything will probably stay about the same, but we do plan on adding a science co-op class. Lexie takes an art class and she also takes piano lessons. We bought her a keyboard for Christmas as well, so hopefully she'll practice even more. She enjoys playing and I hope she excells faster by having the keyboard. We are still working hard on reading,which I have seen a huge improvement this year. She isn't reading right on grade level right now, but I guess that's not so important as long as I see improvement every year. There are days I've had this year so far that I thought I'm sending her back to ps because I just didn't see results as fast as I wanted to, but hubby reminded me if we send her back she won't be gaining any ground after all that's why we took her out of ps is because there just wasn't enough help at the ps. Good luck and have fun homeschooling.

Merry Christmas!

Cindy

Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry so much about reading. Dakota is a slow reader too. But I think they will catch up in a couple of years. Some kids just aren't ready for reading as young as others are. It's more important that they enjoy it. If you force them to read too young they may learn to hate it. Allowing them to learn at their own pace leads to a love of reading. Now if I could just convince DH of that. He was reading at age 3 so he doesn't understand why our seven year old doesn't like it.

Where does your daughter take piano lessons? We are trying to find a place near here that isn't too expensive. We're in Bergen County. I may try to start out teaching him myself. But I haven't played in 30 years or more.

Kathi

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Lexie takes lessons from a lady right down the road from us here in Kingsport Tn. It cost $60.00 a month. Thanks for your encouraging words, I know she will get the reading down better this year and it will continue to get better .

Cindy

Blog Entries

Sometimes it seems that they struggle and struggle with something and then all at once they get it. When that light bulb turns on they are off and running with no sign of all the struggles they had before. Reading will come when she is ready.

Kathi

denimay is offline Senior Member

I have to share a story with you. When I was teaching in inner-city PS, I had a boy who really just astounded me. We were a year-round school with shared rooms which means that before you go "off-track" you have to pack up and secure all of your own "stuff" and then unpack when you come back because someone else is in your classroom while you're gone. MY school did not allow even ONE day in-between tracks so the packing/unpacking by TWO teachers often happened on MY first day back. (we had two-two month breaks)

So on one of my first days back the school said they had an "extra" sub and did I want him?? YES!!! He was a nice young man and I had all the "stuff" for the day prepared so I told him to go ahead and do the 'teaching' so I could work on setting up my room since he wouldn't know where to put anything......and I'd be there to step in if needed. I told him not to worry about doing things "my way" so he did "popcorn" reading (which is a terrible method in my humble opinion) and when he called on this one boy, I moved over and kneeled down next to him certain that he would need some help as he didn't know all of the letters of the alphabet in ANY language BEFORE the break.......and this boy read his passage perfectly! Several other of my kids were called upon who I went to assist and THEY didn't need me either! Finally, I said, "What did you guys DO on vacation?" And they said (in unison), "READING!" to which I responded, "What did you read?" and they rolled their eyes and said, "BOOKS!"....these are kids who have NO books in their homes....so I asked, "WHere did you get books?" At this point, they gave the 'are you a pod person? look and said, "At the LIBRARY!" Then I was saved by the bell for recess.

Now before the break I'd been doing my phonics program and sentence blocks and all the stuff I do for language arts and they'd been doing well.....especially for ESL (Spanish) kids who didn't speak much English.

I also got them all library cards and every three weeks we would walk to the public library, do an activity, look at and check-out books, go to lunch and then to the park after which we took the trolley back to school. (It killed a whole day and was really FUN!!).......con't in next block.......
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

denimay is offline Senior Member

Anyhow.....it was really affirming and (to be honest) surprising that my students were taking their families to the library ON VACATION!!

Okay, so I digressed.....I want to go back to this one boy. I had a large classroom library in both English and Spanish and my kids were allowed to check out books to take home from it. I'd gotten a set of those "Ghoolie" books that I'd put on the top shelf because I felt they were far to hard for my students to read. The day before vacation this boy asked if he could check out those books. I showed him how hard they were (reg. paperbacks with almost no illustrations) and he said he wanted those. He wanted all 3 of the set. I asked if there was anyone at home who could read them to him....and he just smiled and shrugged. He really wanted those books so I let him check them out.......he literally did not know all of the letters of the alphabet....but how could I deny a child a book?? He spoke Spanish and the books were in English.....he'd had the same exposure to my phonics program, etc. so it wasn't like he'd had NO prep, but still.......and so the end of this too long tale is that this child had TAUGHT HIMSELF to read so he could read THESE BOOKS. AND this is not the ONLY child I've taught over the years to have done this.....I really believe that when a child finds something he/she really WANTS to read.....he/she will find a way. Any your kids will will learn to read in their own time. Regular kids don't learn to read at age 3....many, many, MANY kids are not really ready until age 8 or 9........everybody else falls somewhere in the middle and each should be allowed to learn at her own pace.........IMHO.........deni....
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast