Summer Homeschooling/repeating a grade
    Unregistered Guest

Default Summer Homeschooling/repeating a grade

Hi all,
    I'm trying to figure out what the right thing to do for my daughter. She seriously struggled this year (6th grade) in public school and has ADHD and recently diagnosed with processing disorders. I'm considering having her re-take 6th grade over the summer online, she is failing 3 of her core classes, yet will be promoted to 7th grade. Our schools don't offer summer school.

Is this program good for our needs and/or do you have other recommendations for her? If she thrives in the home school environment we're considering continuing on. I'm just very nervous because I am so not qualified to meet her educational needs.

Thanks and I appreciate all your input.

EMS

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Where to start? First I have to say that I think it is horrible that a student is failing three of the core subjects and they are still passing her on to the next grade. Second I think it's awful that they are not providing you with support to help her get ready for next year. Third, I have to say that I think it is great that you are willing to step up and help your daughter. Rest assured that most of us don't feel qualified to teach our own children, even teachers have expressed this. I believe my son has ADD or ADHD. He's never been tested. But I always say he has the attention span of a gnat. Homeschooling is so great for these kids because you can break the work up to fit their attention span. Sort work periods and frequent breaks work best for my son.

Fortunately in New Jersey we are not really accountable to anyone. If I were in your shoes I would do some very gentle learning over the summer. Maybe work a bit on the subject she is furthest behind on. Then in the fall I would start her in the sixth grade curriculum. But that is just me. There is no way I would put my child back into a school system that has so miserably failed her. But this is just my humble opinion as a mom. Look around the forums. Ask questions. Make your decisions and then move forward. As the work gets harder in the upper grades, there are resources to help you. Best of luck to both of you.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota