Summer Learning - What did your family "learn" this summer
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Summer Learning - What did your family "learn" this summer

Wow, it's hard to believe that it is Back To School time already. This summer has gone by so fast.

We have been pretty busy. We found a new place to hang out at this summer. The Beczak Center in Yonkers, New York. We have taken so many classes there. We took a series of art classes where we took "found" items and made art projects with them. the first class we made a box to honor nature. My son used pictures of birds and twigs to make a bird in a nest. He then made eggs out of little pieces of play dough and glued them in the next He colored the background in blue then used paint to draw a bright yellow sun in the corner of the box. He also painted the back of the box. When we came home he gave it a place of honor in the center of our nature table.

The next class they used a glass jar and made a mini terraium using moss and tiny birds and shells. Dakota had a great time using the hot glue gun. This is his new favorite craft item.

The final class they used twigs and pieces of a seining net, shells, fishing line and paper to decorate their tribute to the water. Our nature table is getting quite full with all this new art.

We also took many other class at the Beczak Center. I think the one Dakota enjoyed the most was seining. A group of children donned their waders and drug the seining net out into the Hudson River. They walked along the river and then pulled in their nets and went back to shore. When they got back on shore they opened their net and examined all the wonderful goodies they had brought in: shrimp, small bass, bottle caps, and soda cans. What an array!

We learned a lot about the Hudson River and the different types of water that it is made up of. I didn't know that the river was brack water and not fresh water. At least the part that is near us. We also had a class about small animals. It was so much fun to be able to touch these tiny animals from other countries. I loved the tiny little hedgehog. Next week we are going to learn about different types of fish that live in the Hudson River.

I could go on and on about all the things we learned this summer, but I really want to hear about the things you've learned. Please let us know how your summer has been going.

Kathi
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Rockflower is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Summer Learning - What did your family "learn" this summer

Wow, that sounds fun. I am in NJ also, but I am about 30 min from Philadelphia it seems like you are closer to NY. We spent a lot of time outside just having fun. I have a little girls who will be 5 in September. School has already begun for us. I am excited. Have you started yet?

Linda
    Clementon, NJ

Blog Entries

We never really stopped completely. We use Time4Learning once or twice a week when I am feeling up to it. I've been sick since May so what we do depends on how I feel. This week we won't be doing much of anything. But Dakota has been having lots of playdates. We are taking a class on Sunday about bass and hogchokers which are a kind of fish. This will be at the Beczak Center. On Saturday we have Rocket CLub. My husband and son design and build rockets. Then they go to Rocket Club to launch their rockets. Next week I will be feeling better so we will do more T4L and more outside activities.

During a normal school year we try to do T4L about 3 days a week and then we fill in with classes and play dates. We like to do lots of park days in the Spring and Fall. It's just too hot to spend much time outdoors right now. I look forward to being able to get out more.

My little guy is 7 now. How does your daughter like T4L. We both love it.

Yes, we are right outside New York City. We love the Ohilly area as well. The Please Touch Musuem and the Aquarium are two of our favorite places.

Enjoy the cooler weather coming.

Kathi

Rockflower is offline Junior Member Newbie

Can you believe that I have never been to the Aquarium and I just went to the Please Touch Museum about 2 weeks ago...ugh... we a little lean on money. But we are looking forward to taking advantage of one the the Aquariums Home School Weeks in October. The price will be lower for all Home school families.
    I do hope your feeling better and my family and I will be thinking of you.

God Bless,
    Linda

Blog Entries

I posted a reply last night but it seems to have disappeared. I just wanted to remind you that you need to register in advance to get the discount price at the aquarium. If you wait to buy tickets at the door you have to pay the higher price. Unfortunately we will not be able to go this year. The dates just don't fall at the right time for me.

Have fun.

Kathi