Summertime Activities
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Summertime Activities

During the summer time we like to go to Darlington Lake in Mahwah, New Jersey for some beach time. It's pretty low cost and a great place to meet with your friends. We usually meet with our homeschool group once or twice a month. A lot of our friends also like to hang out at local parks. One family we know organizes a "tour" of the parks every year. Each week they plan an outing at a different park. Everyone who wants to go meets them on a specific date. At the end of the summer everyone votes on which park was their favorite.

What are some of the things you like to do during the summer? Lets share some ideas.

Kathi
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Default Re: Summertime Activities

My daughter will take summer bowling league once a week, swim lessons twice per week, piano lessons twice a month, and the rest off the time has playdates with friends, park days, and going to our neighborhood pool with her friends. She plays with the neighbor kids several times a week. We don't go on vacation much in the summer but we try to go camping 1-3 times. She has a science day camp for one week in July also. We try to do school in the mornings though. We're home anyway and generally don't do anything in the mornings so I figure we may as well do lessons and keep her sharp all year round. We take so many breaks all the time and especially during holidays that we don't need a long summer break from school.

Blog Entries

We do school in the summer as well. I think it's good for the kids to keep up. But we're never very regular. We may skip a few days or even a whole week. Then we will have a week where we do school every single day. Going year round helps to ensure that he doesn't get behind his age group.

Summer is such a laid back time. Dakota will go hiking with his daddy in July. They may go on a few weekend hikes as well. I'm afraid my camping days are over. For me roughing it now means a hotel with only one bed and a small tv.

Enjoy your summer,
    Kathi

Blog Entries

Our local homeschool group is having a mini graduation ceremony for the children at our end of the year picnic. We have one girl who is graduating high school. Four who are going into high school. Five who are going into middle school. Four going into first grade. And two going into kindergarten. Each child will get a diploma and a little tassel to mark the year. Our high school graduate will also be getting a medal that says Graduate on it. I think this will be a fun way to mark this special occasion for all of our kids.

Is anyone else doing anything special to mark this milestone?

Kathi