Thinking about T4L for two boys, one with special needs
    HomeSchoolingMama is offline Junior Member

Question Thinking about T4L for two boys, one with special needs

Hello!

I am a mom of two school-aged boys, and an almost 2 year old daughter. Hunter is 7 and in 2nd grade. Ryan is 6 and in 1st grade. We live in Somerset County, NJ.

Hunter has always excelled in school. Kindergarten & 1st grade, he did perfect! above average, actually. He had no issues whatsoever, and he was actually ahead. However, once he started 2nd grade, he began slipping. We aren't even 2 months into the school year and he is struggling in school. He is unable to complete classwork assignments, and he has over an hour of homework each night. Keeping him on track is becoming more and more difficult at homework time. I have reached out to his teacher on multiple occasions regarding his progress/setbacks, and I have received guarded/cryptic responses from her. I am getting extremely frustrated over the situation.

Ryan has been enrolled in the school system since he was 3. He was enrolled in a "special needs" preschool, provided by the school district. Ryan has Asperger's syndrome, as well as speech and cognitive issues. He has been enrolled in speech therapy 2x a week since beginning preschool. Ryan was tongue-tied, and it wasn't caught until he was 4 years old. He underwent surgery on his tongue in June 2010, and almost immediately I saw a difference in his speech. At our last IEP meeting in May 2011, his speech therapist wanted to discontinue his speech therapy because she felt (in her professional opinion) that he had graduated the need for it. Ryan's (at the time) teacher felt he needed to continue it for his 1st grade year, so he remained with Ms. Marie. Ryan has begun occupational therapy this school year, due to his testing last year showing that he had issues with the muscles in his forearms being weak and causing issues with his grip.

My concerns are most regarding Ryan. I know that he will not need the speech therapy, as his speech therapist believed that he no longer needed assistance with his speech. I am unsure about what to do about the cognitive/occupational therapy, and where to proceed with that type of help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am looking for honest opinions about T4L, specifically for special needs students with Asperger's and/or cognitive issues.

Thanks for any opinions you can provide!

Heather

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Depending on the school district you may still be able to get OT services from the school while homeschooling. Some school districts are really good about this. Others will flat out deny all services to homeschool kids. We were denied speech therapy for my son unless we enrolled him in school. New Jersey law says that if the public school offers services to private school kids they have to offer the same services to homeschool kids. But it is a real fight to get the services when you ask for them. We decided to go the private therapy route.

I know many families have used time4learning for special needs children and they do very well with it. My son is extremely hyper. I don't think he could ever sit in a public school classroom. With time4learning we can take breaks as often as he needs to. He will work for a while and then run around the building or go check the mail. Anything to get some physical activity in. Then he is able to settle down and work again for a while. To be honest we have never used any other program. We have tried adding in workbooks but he hates them. This is what works and he is learning well. You might want to check out the special needs forum to get some opinions from them. I would get involved with the homeschool community in your area and go from there.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Default Hi Kathi!

Thanks for the quick response. We live in Manville, NJ - which is a pretty small town. I don't believe that they provide special services for private school students, so I'm guessing that I'm going to have to go the private OT route.

Blog Entries

We were in Ridgefield when we tried to get Speech Therapy. The woman at the school told me she had been advised to not talk to me and hung up on me when I tried to quote NJ law. Talk to people in your local homeschool group. They would know the most about your local schools.

There doesn't appear to be any homeschooling groups in my area. The nearest one I found was Hunterdon County, and the rest are North Jersey and South Jersey.

Blog Entries

I looked it up on mapquest because I wasn't sure where Manville was located. It looks like you would be fairly close to Morris County Homeschoolers. You could look them up on Yahoo. Also, you look like you might be close to Green Valley homeschoolers. I think they're a yahoo group as well. They are the group that organizes homeschool soccer. Soccer is tomorrow morning in Edison, NJ. A lot of people drive from Bergen, Hudson, Essex, and Morris County as well as a few other places to attend soccer. There are three more weeks in this season. It's only $12 a week. The little ones start at 10:15 and the older kids, (9 and up) start at 11:15. Tomorrow is Market Day so it would be a good time to come out and meet new people as well as share in some of the crafts and goodies. If I can get motivated today I will have some freshly made candles there tomorrow. Soccer is at Roosevelt Park in Edison. We meet near the playground. Even if your kids don't want to play soccer it's fun to hangout there.

Hi Kathi!

Thanks so much for the info about Green Valley homeschoolers. I am definitely going to look up the info and see what I can find. My boys are still enrolled in public school, I plan on dis-enrolling them after Christmas break, so I will definitely be looking forward to joining that group. My boys LOVE soccer, and they were part of the recreation soccer group here in town. I am going to look up the info now. Thanks so much!

Blog Entries

he fols at Green Valley seem really nice. I wish we lived closer so we could do more things with them. Soccer will start again in the Spring.

I emailed Green Valley last night. Thanks for the info - it seems like a great group to get involved with!
    Mama to Hunter (7) Ryan (6) and Aubrey (22 months)
    Homeschooling as of 1/2012

http://homeschoolingmama24.xanga.com

Blog Entries

I just spent the afternoon with a group of people from Green Valley. They are great.