Welcome to the New Jersey Parent Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome to the New Jersey Parent Forums

If you are new to homeschooling in New Jersey , you might want to check out the New Jersey homeschool information page where we cover state-related laws, resources, and curriculum information. You also might want to download our free "Welcome to Homeschooling" guide, which includes comprehensive information about homeschooling in any state.

If you'd like to keep up with everything going on in this forum, you can easily subscribe by clicking on the "Subscribe Forum" link directly below the "New Topic" button at the top of this page. That way you won't miss any of the great info or discussions.
    Thanks for stopping by...why not take a minute and introduce yourself below?

Happy Homeschooling
    Last edited by fairylover; 09-22-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Angie5 is offline Junior Member

Thanks fairylover; looking in on the cost, but will introduce myself soon.

atherasfamily is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi looking forward to a great year. Our son Michael is 7, we are from Hunterdon County, cant wait to meet everyone. Patty

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome to Patty and Angie! Feel free to tell us a little more about yourselves and your homeschoolers...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the group ladies. My standard advice is to pour yourself a good cup of tea and spend a while reading the forums. Ask any questions you might have. Remember that if it's a question for you there are probably six other people who want to know the same thing and are too shy to ask.

ellie601 Guest

Default Specail Education Child

We live in New Jersey and 2 of my children are in special education I feel that it would serve them better to be schooled at home. The school system doesn't take enough individual time for each child.I feel every child learns differently whether in special education or not .My question how do I go about obtaining the legal forms to educate my children at home.I have one child in the 6th grade and the other in 7th. They bring most of the work anyway at home to do. I feel their behavior would be better at home then in a school that expects them to learn what the other children are learning they don't go by the I.E.P like they say. I hope you can help me to find out what I need to do.Thanks ellie601.

Blog Entries

There are no forms to fill out in New Jersey. You need only write a letter notifying the school that your children will not be returning. You aren't even required to tell them that you are homeschooling although most parents do. Many parents also include in the note that they are accepting all responsibility for their children's education. Some school districts will try to tell you that they must approve your curriculum. This is also not true. I am not a lawyer, only a homeschooling mom. You should read the law for yourself and decide how to interpret it yourself. Once you remove your children from school, there is no requirement for testing, supervision or anything else in New Jersey. Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. I would suggest that you connect with a good homeschooling group. There are many throughout the state. I know many families with special needs children who successfully homeschool. My son's best friend has autism and has never been to school. You can do this.

mijoda Guest

Default New Jersey Online Homeschooling Options

Hello,
    Appreciated reading your posts everyone.... I'm about to start homeschooling my son after he completes this school year (5th grade). Actually and honestly, I have been homeschooling him for years now because he has Aspergers and practically no capability of focusing or learning in an public schooling environment. He moved from Special Ed to General Ed with an aide since Kindergarten due to his academic capabilities. What he has learned through the years has mostly come from our home education process throughout the year and even summer. Recently I have found that while traditional classroom instruction has never been suited for him (he completely tunes it out), online resources through animation or video instruction and activities have shown remarkable results with his attentiveness, interest and results (he loves sites like BrainPop and Study Island). Deciding on homeschooling for him was the easiest decision my wife and I have ever made (I refuse to continue requiring my son to do both... public and homeschooling - just to keep up). He is a very bright boy who needs to learn in a format focused to his strengths. No more school work from 7:55 am to about 6:00 p.m. when he typically finishes his schoolwork and homework.

My wife and I appreciate advice and feedback on any experiences with current online curriculum based studies like K12.com, time4learning, etc. We will be counting on online curriculum for about 75% of his home education process

Thank you! Michael

Blog Entries

Hi Michael. Welcome to the forums. I have a nine year old son with a very short attention span. We have used time4learning since preK for him. I totally agree with your assessment that the video game style of online learning can hold their attention a lot longer than textbook learning. The other thing that I find helpful is field trips, lots and lots of field trips. I would recommend that you connect with some of the local homeschool groups in your area. You will find that the social opportunities will become as valuable for you as they will be for your son. Sometimes it gets hard hearing nothing but a nine or ten year old voice all day long. Whether it's hanging out with the parents during homeschool soccer (in Edison) or during the project time at the art museum (in Montclair), it is so validating to be able to chat and compare notes with the other parents. I don't know what part of the state you are in but there are some great groups out there and many many activities. Get involved and enjoy your decision. I think your son will feel a great deal of relief if he only has to deal with "school" for a couple of hours a day instead of seven hours away from home and then another two to four hours of schoolwork after he gets home. Let us know if you have any questions.

mijoda Guest

Thank you Kathi for your advice. We live in Ocean County and I will connect with local homeschool groups and even outside my area if necessary. I've been homeschooling all along, but without the freedom and flexibility of the typical homeschooling environment. This decision will be a huge relief for my son and for myself as well. I agree with everything you said. : )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast