About to start homeschooling.....help?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By R Smith

Thread: About to start homeschooling.....help?

Lillysmumma is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question About to start homeschooling.....help?

Hello my names Michelle, I have decided, finally, to homeschool my 8 year old daughter Lilly in ma. She has anxiety and OCD and school has been a constant struggle with usually 40+ absences a year. She has begged me to homeschool her but I assumed it would be way to hard if not possible for me to do with no training. Then I looked online and researched and after hours of reading encouraging stories I decided to do it. I just mostly wanted to know from moms with experience what exactly do I NEED to know before I start?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Lillysmumma! I know it is a stressful time for you. I have walked the path you are walking now. I pulled my daughter in the middle of 1st grade, because, among the many reasons, the school was not working for my ADHD/gifted/sleep disorder daughter. I was really scared to start homeschooling, but knew that I had to do something. Fortunately, I found Time4Learning and was so relieved to have the program keep great records for me, plan good lessons, and engage my daughter. I'm going to suggest 4 things for you to get started.

First, you need to make sure you understand the laws regarding homeschooling in your state. Check out the T4L state forums for state specific information!

Second, make sure to read the resources under the "Helpful Resources" tab at the top of this page. There is a bunch of useful information there.

Third, let your daughter explore the program. For some reason, kids take to it with much less resistance than adults do! You will be amazed at how quickly she learns to navigate through and complete assignments.

Fourth, (wow, lots of advice here LOL) relax and be kind and patient to yourself and your daughter. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to really get into the swing of a new way of schooling. Wish you all the best, and let us know if you have any questions!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

R Smith is offline Junior Member Newbie

Michelle,
    Not knowing in which state you live, some advice for your might vary.

That said, the first thing that is usually needed in your situation is to take the pressure off of learning for Lilly. If she has had a intensely negative experience in school, she must find that learning is not painful, but rather fun. Watch movies, go to the zoo, visit interesting people and places without telling her it is school. Talk about the things you experience together and see what she has learned.

Once she becomes unafraid of "school", she, and you, will better tolerate book studies.

Sounds like she needs to be freed from the oppression of institutional learning. It was designed for the "average" child, whoever that is. The gifted and the challenged do not usually meet their potential in that system.

So, love her, and restore for her the love of learning.

A favorite quote from Yeats: "Education is not merely the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."

R Smith
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.