About to take a big step!
    amyp88 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default About to take a big step!

Hello! I am a single mother of 5 children, ages 6, 11, 13, 14, and 16. My middle child, Katie, is having an awful year of 8th grade. We moved and transferred into a very small town, and while she has made two very good friends, she feels the classes are way behind her academically, feels left out by the majority of the kids, and is uncomfortable with the atmosphere of the school. She told me this morning she walked by three girls last week taking pictures of themselves pretending they were being raped! She leaves the house in tears almost every morning. That said, she is beyond thrilled with the possibility of being home schooled.

Any advice would be appreciated! Katie is a straight A student, very strong in math and science. If we had stayed in the larger district she would be taking Algebra. Is that available here?

Thank you!
    Amy
    Central Illinois

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It sounds like you are on the right way. Are you using Time4learning.com? If so your kids will love moving at their own pace and being able to be done when they are done and able to move on to their own thing. I would recommend time4writing.com for your children. It is great for all ages. Stop by The Illinois page to find out what is going on in your state.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

KTSNGS01 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Kids in school can do some unfortunate things. Have you thought about supplementing her academics with some quality extracurricular activity? If your school doesn't offer any, maybe drive her to the nearest town. She might make some good friends being involved in an arts program at your local Art Center (like a play) or getting on a sports team. Kids with lots to do don't act out like the girls she has seen. Best wishes!