Another new parent to homeschooling.
    theostrichsays is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Another new parent to homeschooling.

Hello all, I will begin this with a brief history. I am a single father, have been that way since my son was one, he will be 6 in July. His mother is deceased, and there is no female presence (girlfriend or anything like that.) We are looking into homeschooling due to his school being slightly below what I would prefer, and then topped with a recent sexual harassment matter from an older student that was not handled in a manner that has left me comfortable with him attending further.
    In both years that he has attended public school I have been very active with education, both inside school and out. I am fairly overwhelmed by the amount of options/information that is readily available (which is a great thing to be able to complain about) and have surfed across numerous websites. I am disabled from the military, and live on a fixed income, so fiscal matters are somewhat at play. So with all this said, I should get to the meat of my post.
    Is the $19.95 I read, the only charge for this program? Does it include online only schoolwork, or is a combination of both online and paper? Does the program have a flexible or strictly regimented curriculum? What all classes does the program cover, I have a small pamphlet from my state on this matter and it says:
    "Teach those subjects that will educate children to be intelligent citizens. Subjects similar to those taught in public school should be offered. Although it is the parents right to offer other subjects as well. Subjects taught should include reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics, and civics."
    To those who use the program, do you have any recommended "additional learning" such as other programs you personally found great success in using to supplement your childs' learning?

I know I have a fairly daunting wall of text here, I have skipped through various threads, and like many I am new and nervous, very much concerned with ensuring I provide my son the best chance at an education, while in a safe surrounding. Thank you for anyone who is able to take the time out to respond, to at least parts of this.
    PS... I wasn't sure which sub-section to post in, so I went with new member introduction as my thread was relevant to a few.

Thank you,
    Jonathan

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums Jonathon. Time4Learning does indeed teach the basic subjects. And yes the $19.95 per month is the only charge involved. In the early years the program is very light on science and history. For my son, we used the Let's Read and Find Out books. They are wonderful sources for learning more about science. You can get them on Amazon.com for just a few dollars. They usually have a buy three get one free sale. Many of them can be found at your local library as well. You can also get a lot of history books at the library. I found it was best to focus on the basics of math and language the first few years. You will want to find something for civics and probably state history when your child is a bit older.

I find the program to be extremely flexible. My son does much better in math and science than he does in language or social studies. With this program you can work at different grade levels for each subject if you need to. It is not unusual at all for my son to be at three different grade levels. We will drop the curriculum in a heartbeat if a great field trip comes up. I'm not big on following a strict schedule. That's one reason why this works so well for us.

You can look at the lesson plans to see what the lessons cover at each grade level. I would suggest that you check out the forum for your state. Also get to know your state laws. Best wishes on your journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

theostrichsays is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for the quick forum approval and reply.
    Initially when I first began to seriously consider homeschooling, I was under the impression that traditional paper in hand learning would be better but through surfing various blogs, and websites I am considering online learning instead. May I ask an honest question?

My entire life, whether arbitrary or not, I have often subscribed to the "you get what you pay for" method of thinking. I actually talked to the K12 individuals earlier who seemed to have a fairly similiar product (as in they couldn't give me a pitch on why they were the better choice and I didn't see anything that stuck out as such) but for $75 a month. That motto has not always been true and honestly has probably been closer to 50/50 on matters. But any particular reason that the product does go for so much under what appears to be the market value?

Another question that as a user you can maybe give a quick answer to (it doesn't have to be indepth.) When I attended high school, I left for an "at my own pace" school. I finished 2.5 years of highschool credits in approx. 10 weeks (I was attending morning and night classes, while also being allowed to work between them since the principal saw that I was putting in as much effort as I could), and then showed up for mandatory Monday attendance, and then resumed my entry level work force jobs. My son has always done well in math compared to his peers, there is 211 activities in his grades lesson plan from the link you posted. Is it upon me to simply throttle his workload or if he is able (and generally has wanted to) handle a larger workload in math and finishes those plans before others, will additional work be provided? If it is on me to find more I am fine with that, just curious.