Anyone from Cullman Al?
    Misty Morgan is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Anyone from Cullman Al?

I'm looking into homeschooling...in the middle of getting nowhere with a public school teacher bullying situation.In tears after looking at prices of a private school and just trying to figure out what is best for my son. What to do!!!!????

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there. So glad you found us! I can relate to what you're going through. When my oldest (now 14 and in 9th grade) was in 1st grade, we had constant issues with the teacher and the school. I ended up pulling him out of school in a fit of anger, only to discover after that, that we couldn't afford private school. Fortunately, my sister-in-law had been homeschooling for several years and we ended up having a lot of family support, so we gave homeschooling a try.

My first piece of advice would be to take a deep breath and really take a couple of days (or however long you need) and look over as much information as you can. Check out the Alabama homeschool laws, and make sure you are aware of and are able to meet the expectations of the state.

If you still want to look into homeschooling, check out this Welcome to Homeschool guide. It has a lot of information for new homeschoolers (or those thinking about homeschooling). Also, hang out in as many online homeschool forums as you can. The more people you can meet, the more you can talk and learn about the different ways families homeschool. We have an Alabama homeschool forum where you can try and connect with others who are near you, and there are several boards depending on the age of your kiddos, how you want to homeschooling, etc. Just poke around and make yourself at home.

Please know that you are not alone with any fears you have, or anything like that. We all were there at one point. I've been homeschooling since 2005 and I still get nervous sometimes. It's a big decision, but it's the best decision we've made as parents.

Good luck! Please ask ANY questions you may have. That's what the forums are for...answers, support, a place to vent, whatever you need. I hope you'll check back in with us and let us know how things are going for you and your family!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!