Brand New to Homeschooling
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: Brand New to Homeschooling

Sddonegan is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Brand New to Homeschooling

Hey everyone! Im Stephanie and I am homeschooling my 6yr old 1st grader. This is our first year homeschooling and I must admit, I think Im feeling lost and confused. My mother home schools my little brother but he is in the 10th grade and therefore I feel lost on this elementary level. Ive gone through the introductory videos and we actually start school tomorrow. Wish me luck

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Stephanie. It is totaly normal to feel bewildered and confused. This is something most of us have little experience. You are so fortunate to have your mother for support. She will be a great asset to you even though your brother is so much older. Just relax and take it one day at a time. When my son was this young, we just started at the beginning and worked through the lessons in order. Now that he is older we are jumping around a bit on some subjects. Iwant to hit the areas he is more interested in. Find a good local support group and start having fun. I'm sure you will want to join the parent forum for your state. Just click on the drop down menu at the top of this page where it says State Forums. Then click on your state. Most of all, have fun.
    bailbrae likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Stephanie! Like Kathi, when my youngest son was in 1st grade, I just had him to the lessons in the order that T4L presented them. It worked out well, and he got everything done by the end of the year. He would usually do 2 language arts lessons and 2 math lessons each day. 1 each of either science or social studies (we rotated days with those).

I agree with Kathi...HAVE FUN! You will really enjoy this year, and online support groups (like the ones found here, lol) are wonderful! You can ask questions, get ideas and even vent when you need to.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!