Brand new and scared to death
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mosinee2

Thread: Brand new and scared to death

Default Brand new and scared to death

Hi! I'm brand new to home schooling and scared to death. We made the decision to home school after the local school failed miserably by "forgetting" to implement my son's IEP. Honestly, why did I sit through countless meetings and have my son go through test after test to be given an IEP then have the school "forget" to implement it? The final straw was when I received a phone call from one of his teachers about an incident in class. When I asked if the teacher had utilized the protocols in my sons IEP he asked, "Thomas has an IEP? When did he get that done?" Mind you, this was nearly at the end of the school year.
    Anyway, I never thought that I was qualified to teach my children. I have a degree but not in education. Now, I have no choice but to take steps to ensure that my son is given a fighting chance. I'm scared. Honestly frightened that I will miss something or somehow hurt his chances at ever going to university. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt this way and I see so many incredible success stories. Somehow, the butterflies don't seem to be reading the same posts...

I'm here in NC, waiting for the cool weather to come and preparing for this newest challenge. Any help and advice would be so tremendously appreciated.
    ~Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by PinupMom View Post
    Hi! I'm brand new to home schooling and scared to death. We made the decision to home school after the local school failed miserably by "forgetting" to implement my son's IEP. Honestly, why did I sit through countless meetings and have my son go through test after test to be given an IEP then have the school "forget" to implement it? The final straw was when I received a phone call from one of his teachers about an incident in class. When I asked if the teacher had utilized the protocols in my sons IEP he asked, "Thomas has an IEP? When did he get that done?" Mind you, this was nearly at the end of the school year.
    Anyway, I never thought that I was qualified to teach my children. I have a degree but not in education. Now, I have no choice but to take steps to ensure that my son is given a fighting chance. I'm scared. Honestly frightened that I will miss something or somehow hurt his chances at ever going to university. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt this way and I see so many incredible success stories. Somehow, the butterflies don't seem to be reading the same posts...

I'm here in NC, waiting for the cool weather to come and preparing for this newest challenge. Any help and advice would be so tremendously appreciated.
    ~Sharon
    Hi Sharon,

Welcome! This is my first post, btw. I joined time4learning because I'm incredibly disorganized and we are behind in the basics. I really needed a curriculum that would hold my hand and one that also could be used by my kids when I'm sick. We seemed to waste a lot of time last year not getting school done because mom was sick, or they were. I'm hoping this will be easier for both of us. I may continue using the Saxon math for now and supplement with this site, and I'm especially hoping to improve my oldests language arts skills. We'll be using Spelling City and another spelling curriculum I have to round it out.
    Plenty of time at the library, too! I hope this site works well for you. My friend is currently going through what you went through with your son. She's against homeschooling, unfortunately.

Sarita

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinupMom View Post

~Sharon
    Hi Sharon, and welcome! I am so sorry to hear that you and your son had so many problems with the public school!

I can completely understand why you are nervous, and it's ok! But I think that if you're qualified to raise your child, then you're qualified to teach your child. Then again, I'm a huge proponent of homeschooling, lol.

Here is a Welcome to Homeschooling ebook that I would recommend to all homeschoolers, but especially to new homeschoolers. There's a lot of info in there, but it's not a huge, cumbersome reference book you have to try to weed through.

I would also like to recommend that you join the NC homeschool forum. It can be a great place to meet others local to you, but also to try and keep up with homeschool happenings in NC.

Good luck! I do hope that you'll check back in, and let us know how things are going for you!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sakmeht View Post
    Hi Sharon,

Welcome! This is my first post, btw. I joined time4learning because I'm incredibly disorganized and we are behind in the basics. I really needed a curriculum that would hold my hand and one that also could be used by my kids when I'm sick. We seemed to waste a lot of time last year not getting school done because mom was sick, or they were. I'm hoping this will be easier for both of us. I may continue using the Saxon math for now and supplement with this site, and I'm especially hoping to improve my oldests language arts skills. We'll be using Spelling City and another spelling curriculum I have to round it out.
    Plenty of time at the library, too! I hope this site works well for you. My friend is currently going through what you went through with your son. She's against homeschooling, unfortunately.

Sarita
    Hi Sarita! Thanks so much for jumping into a conversation and introducing yourself! One of the best things about T4L in my opinion, is the fact you can't use it incorrectly. It can be a solid core (or at least it was for my boys), or it can be a supplement to another curriculum. You can use Time4Learning for LA, but keep Saxon math. It's just SO flexible!

I know what you mean about being disorganized. I seem to thrive on it. Well...I like to say I thrive on organized chaos. Sounds cooler. I'm so thankful that T4L keeps up with everything, and all I have to do is print out my reports when I need them, lol.

Good luck with everything! Please feel free to ask any questions you have, and don't forget to hop over to your state homeschool forum and introduce yourself there!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

mosinee2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Sharon, I started two days ago, and I am also terrified that I'm doing this right. But after seeing the work my daughter has done in 2 days, I'm convinced that this program will be such an advantage to her and her education. We live in Southwest VA and I'm disappointed how schools are set up here. No one knows what's best for your son than YOU, and he will be getting the well deserved one on one help he needs to success ! Mosinee2
    bailbrae likes this.