Brand new and trying to understand!!!!
    Amyamy253 is offline Junior Member

Question Brand new and trying to understand!!!!

Hi, I have started homeschooling my oldest Son who is in the 7th grade and will begin homeschooling my youngest son. 3rd grade, in a couple of months. My first question is, if I begin homeschooling my child before the end of the year how do I pick up where they left off? Will they still be considered promoted to next grade? Also, what determines if a child promotes to the next grade? I know in Florida they have to have an annual evaluation, is that what promotes them or do I do it once they finish the level? And last but not least, I read that the children will need extra curriculum outside of this program. What other curriculum do you guys suggest? This program seems very complete other that extra curricular activities.

Thanks so much for your help.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amyamy253 View Post
    Hi, I have started homeschooling my oldest Son who is in the 7th grade and will begin homeschooling my youngest son. 3rd grade, in a couple of months. My first question is, if I begin homeschooling my child before the end of the year how do I pick up where they left off? Will they still be considered promoted to next grade? Also, what determines if a child promotes to the next grade? I know in Florida they have to have an annual evaluation, is that what promotes them or do I do it once they finish the level? And last but not least, I read that the children will need extra curriculum outside of this program. What other curriculum do you guys suggest? This program seems very complete other that extra curricular activities.

Thanks so much for your help.
    First welcome to Time4learning.com. If you want more information on how to go about homeschooling in your state stop by the Florida forum and there are all kinds of links that lead you to the information you can use.

From all that I understand you just have to send in a letter of intent to the school board in your county then follow some rules on keeping records (see those links) When you send in your letter of intent you state what grade your chid is in. When you go for year end testing or evaluation you just have to show improvement from beginning, middle and end of the school year.

Again I recommend you check the Florida Forum for better explanation!
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

Amyamy253 is offline Junior Member

Thanks Strouse house!