dorrisann

Thread: dorrisann

dorrisann is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default dorrisann

Hello All

My name is Dorris Maynard. I am a mom, grandmother, wife and follower of our Lord Jesus Christ! My husband, Tim and I have been raising our granddaughter who is also our legally adopted daughter. Her name is Cailin and she is 11. I am 50 years of age. My husband is 46 years of age. I am disabled due to several failed back surgeries. I had worked since I was 17 and it was so hard adjusting to being at home. As usual God was and is in control. I couldn't understand why that had happened to me. I had finally obtained a good education and a well paying job and then bam, the rug was pulled out from under me. But my granddaughter was also not quite 1 year old at that time. She has lived with us since birth as did her mom until 2007. So looking back I can see that God had other plans for me. And that was to take care of Cailin whatever that took. Cailin had always struggled in school. She went to kindergarten and it was so horrible for her. She went through half of 1st grade. I pulled her out and began homeschooling her and that was a challenge. But I did not know that she had Asperger's. We just found this out Monday the 15th. The light bulbs just started going off left and right. For once everything made sense. As you can well imagine the relationship between my daughter (Cailin's Mom) is so fractured. And as usual it truly is the children who suffer from these situations. Right now I am focusing on what I can do for Cailin. We are so blessed to have this little girl in our life. We do not see this as a curse. We focus on the good and what can we do to improve the situation. I am so thankful to have been spirit led to this site and to this group. I truly look forward to meeting you all and learning all that I can from you.

Thank you for allowing me to share my introduction with you.
    Dorris

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Dorris, we are so glad to have you here. Welcome to Time4Learning! I'm sorry to hear of all of the trials in your life. May I suggest that you check with your state forum here. Maybe you will be able to connect with other homeschoolers in the state. You might also check on the Special Needs forum, they might have some information over there that might help make homeschooling run more smoothly for you. Let us know if you have any questions, and again, welcome!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

dorrisann is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Linda,
    Thank you so much for your reply. We love it here. Cailin's first day was amazing! While reading some of the forum post I came across one that one mother suggested to another mother that she let her child do some work on their own. Wow I had never thought of that before. I am a hover for sure. To my surprise it worked. Cailin did a little over 4 hours of work mostly on her own. I love this site with all of my heart. I am so thankful that you are here. This works! We are so blessed to be here. Thank you for all that you do for we homeschoolers and Aspie kids.

blessings to you,
    dorris

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Dorris. I just want to also welcome you to T4L and to homeschooling. My sister's name is also Doris....with one 'r'.

We've been homeschooling for 12 years and using T4L with our daughter with Down syndrome for 4 years. I can relate to your sentiment and appreciation for T4L. It's so good to have a curriculum that my daughter can work on independently and also enjoy. I love to hear her giggling as she does her school because she is enjoying learning.

I want to share this link with you for helps and tips on navigating this site. Although it's really quite easy, there are some helpful tips and links to refer to again and again.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums, Dorris. Blessings to you and your family, as well.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass