First things first ...
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg
  • 1 Post By Tracessmom

Thread: First things first ...

Tracessmom is offline Junior Member

Default First things first ...

Hi I am new here but admit I've been lurking and reading for a week or so. I am Mom to three kids my oldest child is attending a private school not homeschooled. My two youngest are a year apart. I removed the children from public school and we have not yet started the program. The reason I am choosing to home school them is because of the "new education reform" in public schools. My youngest child is in 3rd and middle child is in 4th. My 4th grader has gone from straight A's to straight F's this year. He is totally exhausted and has zero self confidence. He has lost so much of his wonderful personality since he started to do poorly. We were staying up till midnight sometimes with him trying to figure out his public schools " new way" of learning. I think T4L willhelp him. I have reviewed it and its exactly where I think we should start with him. My youngest in 3rd grade is brilliant and eager to get started. What would be a good way to introduce this program so that we have the best experience with T4L? Give me as much info and opinion as you please. I am open to suggestions!! Thanks so much!!!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First let me say welcome to the forums and to homeschooling. I would move very slowly with your fourth grader. Perhaps dropping him back to the 3rd grade level and letting both children work at the same level. This may boost his confidence to the point where he is ready to move ahead. Start out with his favorite subjects. If there are areas that you know he will excel in, let him do those first. Many parents take a time of deschooling when they first take their children out of public school. Do nothing that looks remotely like school work for a few weeks. Read books that appeal to your children. Find some field trips that will be interesting to them. Find out what really interests them and work with that. Slowly as they begin to adjust to this new lifestyle you can add things back in. Maybe math for a week, then add in another subject until you are working on everything. Slow and easy is best for your hildren and best for you at first. Best wishes.
    lovehmschlg and Tracessmom like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi! I'm so sorry that your son has been so affected by the changes. It's always sad to hear when a child is discouraged with learning or begins to lack confidence because he starts to fall behind. I've been hearing more and more of this happening. One of the reasons we started homeschooling many years ago was to foster a love of reading and learning in our children.

I agree with Kathi. Take your time and introduce things slowly, starting with the subjects he enjoys most. I would dedicate some time each day to reading out loud with them. Find some good adventure books to read. A couple of books my son liked were The Kid Who Ran for President and The Kid Who Became President by Dan Gutnam.
    Something else my son loves is fun science experiments. Boys usually like that. My son still remembers the time we got a group of boys together and made a volcano.

I believe you'll begin to see your son's personality return and enjoy learning. I look forward to seeing you here and reading of how he loves Time4Learning, like my daughter does.
    Let me share with you the Hints and Helps page for new T4L users.
    Oh, one last thing, have you gotten connected with a local homeschool support group? Our kids have made many friends over the years through our support group and we've attended many fun field trips and events, like Spelling Bees, Geography Bees and Thanksgiving Feasts.
    Tracessmom likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Tracessmom is offline Junior Member

I have not yet found a group in our area but I will be doing this soon. Thank you so much for the advice and the book ideas I think he would like them!!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You might want to check out your state forum while you're looking around the forums. There should be some links to local groups in your state.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota