First timer tuning in from Kuwait
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By JCMommy

Thread: First timer tuning in from Kuwait

JCMommy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question First timer tuning in from Kuwait

Hey I'm Kelly, new to homeschooling, and I can already see the motivation, & interest in my 4 year old. He has become very eager and wanting to do more chapters back to back. So far I am very pleased with lesson plans, but was not aware that his progress was not being kept for my records. Is this because he's enrolled in Preschool level?
    Also how can I keep a portfolio for him? I do not see printable lessons.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I was not aware of records not being kept for preschoolers. Did you look under the Parent Administration page? Once you log in, click the link that says Student Info. you should be able to access the records there. If not, let me know and I will check with someone to see why these records are not kept. You could print off the lesson plans and then mark directly on them the progress that your child makes each day. I do this for my son who is in fourth grade. I keep the lessons plans in a notebook. Each day I mark his progress. When he finishes a course I print off the final report and include it in my notebook.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I was not aware of records not being kept for preschoolers. Did you look under the Parent Administration page? Once you log in, click the link that says Student Info. you should be able to access the records there. If not, let me know and I will check with someone to see why these records are not kept. You could print off the lesson plans and then mark directly on them the progress that your child makes each day. I do this for my son who is in fourth grade. I keep the lessons plans in a notebook. Each day I mark his progress. When he finishes a course I print off the final report and include it in my notebook.
    I have checked under student info, but I forgot where I saw it but it says student record are not available for lower level, anything under kindergarten he's doing Pre K 1 so I figured once he starts kindergarten curriculum record would be kept. I am printing off lesson, and I have a portfolio. But if you wouldn't mind verifying if that is correct or not I would appreciate it very much. He will be 5 next month and I want him to start the kindergarten lesson, and I want to add that to his portfolio.

Blog Entries

Yes, I will check into this and get back to you.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hey there! While Kathi is checking on the PreK reports, I just wanted to add that one of the reasons there may not be a report option for PreK because most (possibly all) states don't require PreK. It's something that is completely optional for the parents. This is true for both homeschoolers and public/private schoolers.

I can understand wanting to keep a portfolio for your reference though. If it's confirmed that there are no printable records, you could maybe jot down notes of what they are working on and keep those in a file. You could also snap photos of your kiddo working on the computer, as well working on puzzles, coloring, art, etc.

My youngest son started with PreK, but I honestly don't remember about the reports and worksheets. Since I didn't have to keep records for the state at that age, I was really just treating PreK as play time and Kindergarten prep time, lol. I do know though, that records are available for the K level. I believe the printable resource worksheets are as well.

Last edited by bailbrae; 10-04-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Blog Entries

We started with PreK as well, but it's been a long while since we were there. Okay so here's the answer that I received, "The pre-k records are accessed from within the student's login. Currently, they consist only of a record of how many times the student has accessed or completed each activity.

Many of the themes end with an activity called "Idea Book", where ideas for offline activities can be found. Some of these could be included in a portfolio."

So it sounds like you could print off the report that shows the work your child did. And then include some of the work from the Idea Book. I feel so fortunate that I live in a state that requires no reporting of any kind.
    bailbrae likes this.

Thank you so much I have been keeping a record of printed off worksheets, so hopefully next month when he starts kindergarten they will have records then.
    thanks for the advice really helpfulness.
    bailbrae likes this.

Blog Entries

You're quite welcome.