Going from Public School to Home school.

Default Going from Public School to Home school.

Hi there my fellow homeschool parents.

I just started homeschooling so my boys and I can travel back and fourth to Kalispell and Culbertson Montana. We just moved over here from Washington state. My husband got a job in the oil fields and we figured that homeschooling would allow us to see him more often.

My question is What do I need to do with their school records from their public school? Do I have them mailed to me? What do I need to do with the Montana school board to inform them I'm homeschooling my boys?

Thanks so much for your help.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First let me say welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. This will be a most exciting and terrifying journey. Second let me say that I am a homeschooling mom, not an attorney. If you have any legal questions please consult and attorney. If it were me, I would have the public school records sent to myself. You are the school of record now, so you should have those records for your files. You need to send a letter to the county superintendent of schools in the county that you consider to be your primary residence to notify them that you are homeschooling. The only other things that I can see is that you must keep a record of attendance and immunizations. These are to be shown to the county superintendent IF they request them. Here is a link to a copy of the law. I suggest that you keep a copy of the law with you whenever you are dealing with the public school system.

Relax now and enjoy your children. You might want to join the Montana Parent Forum. Please ask any questions you might have either here or in the Montana forum.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thank you so much!! That was very helpful. Know I feel like I have a place to start!

Have a wonderful Monday!!

arainbowfamily is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello, we were public school up until this year and are now trying different methods of homeschooling. We have 3 children and one is special needs. Public schools in our area do not seem to understand that children learn differently. I am just getting my feet wet and am looking for tips and pointers to help me from over schooling if there is such a thing. It seems I have been taking too long each day. How do I fit it all in and keep it fun without over doing.

arainbowfamily