Good morning and hello
    Amber Thonn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Good morning and hello

Hi. We are a military family about to make the change to homeschooling due to our upcoming PCS from overseas. We have loved the education and resources that our children had in their previous school, however the next station is not at the scale that DODS/DODEA. We have 2 children, 8 1/2(3rd grade) 9 1/2 (5th grade) in the fall.

I have a ton of questions since this is something that I have never done. I do have a ton of resources for materials. My questions are somewhat general and others specific to the area that we are going, Liberty County, Georgia (fort stewart).

How do you develop a curriculum for your children?
    Does anyone follow any standards for education?
    How do you integrate multiple age levels?
    What, if any, online education sites do you use?
    How do you choose which types of formal testing to use?

Thanks so much
    Amber

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First let me say hi and welcome to the forums. Second, slow down. Take some deep breathes and relax a bit. It is not as overwhelming as it seems. The first thing you need to do is find a good local homeschool support group. You could start by looking at the forum for your state. Next you need to look into the laws for your state. There are so many different choices in curriculum out there. My son has used time4learning since he was in preK. He still loves it six years later. Until a few months ago we lived in a state that did not require testing or registration or anything else. So I have no experience with testing. I personally don't believe in testing or teaching to the test. But that's my personal opinion.

I hope this gives a starting place. Best wishes for your wonderful journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Amber.

Like Kathi mentioned, homeschooling is not as overwhelming as it may seem. Just take it one day at a time. The first mistake I often see new homeschoolers make is to try to duplicate what the schools do. Remember that in a classroom, it's usually a ratio of 1 to 25-plus students. They follow a set schedule and teach to the test, usually following the curriculum to a T. As a homeschooler, we have the freedom of teaching to the child, meeting their individual needs, building on their individual strengths and working on their weaknesses. Also, while a child is in school about 7 hours a day, we get our work done in a fraction of that time. For 3rd and 5th grade, I would say easily 3 hours a day, sometimes less. We also have more opportunities to take field trips any time and teach life skills.

We've been using Time4Learning for 5 years now. What attracted me to T4L is that the lessons are already planned out, my daughter can work at her own pace, and I have easy access to printable progress reports. A big plus has been that my daughter enjoys learning with Time4Learning. She LOVES it! It's a great program for new homeschoolers because it relieves you of administrative work, like lesson planning and record-keeping, while you get to know your kids' learning styles and get to 'know' each other in a different level. As time goes by, you can choose to supplement, for example, science and social studies. We use educational movies, documentaries and good books to supplement these subjects. We also use SpellingCity for spelling and vocabulary. And I've just registered my son for Time4Writing, which are one-on-one writing courses with a certified teacher.

You may find this Welcome to Homeschooling Guide helpful. This was put together by several veteran homeschool moms here at T4L.

I look forward to seeing you around the T4L forums. You will have some difficult days, so expect them. We all do. We're here to help each other out and encourage each other. So don't hesitate to ask questions....or maybe offer some advice to other moms.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass