Have a question about upper level
    Rhomeschool is offline Junior Member Newbie

Cool Have a question about upper level

Hi everyone!
    I have been homeschooling our son since fall of 2010. We pulled him out of school because he has Aspergers, ADHD, and a few other things going on. The school programs did not accommodate his needs. He enjoys doing the work alot. I do agree that the Social Studies and Science are way behind the times as far as content. They both should be updated at least somewhat mainly because some of the information is incorrect. For instance in Science, when doing the periodic table, it lists the wrong amount of elements. There have been more added since this subject was written.
    So as of today, we have signed up our 13 year old daughter for this program. She has been out of school basically since the beginning. She has been ill with something and none of the docs can figure out what. She was so ill at first that even though her work was being sent home, she wasn't well enough to do it. After about a month and a half she started to feel a little better and we tried to get some homework done, a bit at a time. As the weeks went by and she was still not able to go back, the homework piled up. Now she is so far behind that she won't be able to get caught up. She has to be passing 3 classes by the end of the school year in order to graduate 8th grade and I'm afraid that just isn't going to happen. So to ease the stress on her and on us too, we are going to homeschool her for the rest of the year and then hopefully enroll her in high school.
    My question is, she learns better by reading to herself, not having someone read to her. The social studies and language she is doing is animated and driving her crazy. Is there any way to change it so she can read it herself?
    I couldn't find anything on the website.
    Also, I wanted to mention a website that my sister told me about. Her daughter's band class is so big that they don't have enough time for alot of individual lessons. The school enrolls the band kids in an online program called smartmusic.com. The kids get on there and do their lesson and then submit it to the teacher.
    She was telling me about it and she thought anyone could sign up for personal use. I checked it out and it is only $36 a year. It offers a lot of things such as the software that comes with a microphone, when your child plays the music on the computer, it shows which notes are wrong by showing them in red. Also you have the option of playing by yourself or playing with a full band sound in the background. Individuals can sign up for themselves so I am going to use this for our 13 year old daughter as she plays the flute. As soon as I get her enrolled I will let you know how it is. Meanwhile if you are interested, you should check it out.
    Nice to have somewhere to chat,
    Anne

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Rhomeschool, Welcome to time4learning and the parent forums. Thank you for pointing out the errors in the science program. Whenever you see errors of this nature they should be reported to technical assistance so they can be corrected. The material is updated on a regular basis but even then some things do get missed.

The music program you mentioned sound wonderful. I will check it out for my son. Music is one area that we are lacking in.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Time4Learning provides a full math and language arts curriculum. Science and social studies are included at most levels as a free bonus. These free science and social studies lessons are not updated the way the math and language arts lessons are.

What level of social studies is your daughter doing? All but grades 1-2 are text based. Grade 7 includes a bit of animation, but the lessons must be read by the student.

unfortunately, there is no way to change animated lessons to text-based lessons.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hi Kathi, been a while since I was on here but I just wondered if you had tried out the music program for your son.

Hi Kelly, Thanks for replying and reminding me that the Science and Social Studies are a free bonus. I had forgotten about that. I now have my 5th grader who will be starting homeschooling this fall. Actually she already has with Time 4 Learning. I know that I am not keeping up with them like I should and I am realizing that I should be using some textbooks as well. For our son with Aspergers I picked up some Spectrum workbooks on Science, Math, and English from Amazon. Do you supplement with textbooks or with another homeschooling program? I just graduated in May and am taking the last of my 3 eight week courses (4 weeks to go). Then I will be dedicating my time to the kids and the homeschooling. Is Time4learning recognized by colleges and such as a legitimate school for them to get into college? I see "Hearthstone Academy" as your user name and am wondering if that is a homeschool.
    Well, any information you can give me would be wonderful. Textbooks vs no textbooks; workbooks vs no workbooks; additional schooling websites needed, etc. I just don't know if this is enough.
    Thank you for your help and the help of anyone else out there!