Hello

Thread: Hello

Mommiewommie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello

Hello. I'm the mother of a 7 year old boy who I'm hoping will find this engaging enough to stop resenting reading.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Mommiewommie. Welcome to time4learning. I have a nine year old who has been a very reluctant reader. I think the best thing I did for him was to back off on requiring him to read. When he was seven he wanted no part of reading. I didn't push him but I read to him every day. I still read to him a lot. As he got more interested in video games, he became much more interested in reading. After all, you can't stop in the middle of a game to have someone read it to you. Now he is very interested in robotics. He has to read the directions to his mindstorms set in order to do the work. I have seen him pick up a book and read for pleasure recently. When the pressure to read was taken off, he became much more interested.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with Kathi, my daughter was a reluctant writer, instead of a reluctant reader, but same thing happened with us.
    I got tired of trying to force writing, quite frankly. I had offered all types of adaptive technologies including voice recognition, yet it was like banging my head against the wall, the more I asked for writing, the more she would not write. So, I backed off. We concentrated on grammar, vocabulary and other language arts type exercises. Kids learn at different rates and sometimes they are just not ready to do what we are asking them to do. I am going to say this in a whisper because I don't want to jinx anything, but my daughter is currently writing a book! I asked her what she was doing on the computer so long one day, a couple of weeks ago, and she announced that she was working on book one of her triolgy.
    I read it, and noticed that her grammar was great, her spelling was much improved. Punctuation was pretty good, including writing dialog with commas, quotes, etc in correct usage. The readability is about 2 years above grade level. I think taking the pressure off allowed her to learn the things she needed, and allowed her to be less resistant to writing.
    I don't know if reading works like this, but maybe offer some alternatives to him actually picking up a book, like allowing him to listen to audio books. Also, some kids are intimidated by the book size. Even though my daughter is not a reluctant reader, she would not read a book she wanted to if it was gigantic. We got around that by offering an e-reader. The great thing about an e-reader is, all books are the same size, the size of the ereader!! No intimidation there!
    Good luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    Also, some kids are intimidated by the book size. Even though my daughter is not a reluctant reader, she would not read a book she wanted to if it was gigantic. We got around that by offering an e-reader. The great thing about an e-reader is, all books are the same size, the size of the ereader!! No intimidation there!
    Good luck!
    Linda, this was exactly the case with my oldest son. He wanted no part of reading. We thought that the interest wasn't there, but as it turns out, he wanted to read books that were larger in size but was intimidated by them...he couldn't hold them comfortably, but he also hated seeing how much of the book was left after he read for a couple of hours, lol. He finally admitted this to us and we go him an ereader. Overnight (nope, not exaggerating), he went from reading "Captain Underpants" to "The Hobbit" followed by the entire "Lord of the Rings" trilogy!

My youngest was also a reluctant reader. Even more so than my oldest. He got a hand me down ereader after my husband and I upgraded shortly after we bought the one for our oldest. It didn't seem to matter. He just didn't like to read. And, to be quite honest, he couldn't read. When we started our 2nd grade year (this past fall), everyone told us he was so far behind. I'm not sure why, but I just had this gut feeling that I needed to back off. Let him to do this in his own time. Rather than push him to read what he was "supposed" to read, we encouraged him to read what he wanted to read. Video games, comic books, whatever he was interested in. Slowly but surely, we saw improvement. Now, he's reading the Magic Tree House series and loving it. He just needed to wait until he was ready, now when I was ready for him to be ready, lol.

Good luck! I do hope we'll see you around the boards and you keep us updated!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!