Hello
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stayhomemom

Thread: Hello

stayhomemom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thumbs up Hello

I started my son age 7 yesterday with T4L and he absolutely loves it. My husband and I took him out of a private school this past Fall because we saw that he really needed some one on one help that he was not getting at school with phonics and so on. We quickly realized that he had most of the signs of dyslexia. When we took him out of school he was used to Abeka curriculum since he was in K4. I switched him to American Language Series for a while till that didn't seem to work anymore than I found a book at the library called "Teach your child how to read in a 100 lessons" that didnt work either. He was struggling very badly in phonics, reading, language etc... I then got Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum and that did work for a while and he did really like it, but there was still something no up to speed with him. He was starting to hate school and sometimes I would even give him a day off so that he didnt get too overwhelmed with it. So when I found T4L I knew this was it. We are still new at this, but he seems to have everything down pat already lol. I was so glad to see him actually reading small sentences today. The visual, auditory, and interactive lessons are exactly what he needed.

Christy
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Christy! I know I said hello in the other thread you posted in, but I wanted to make sure and say it again here. While I hate hearing that you and your son have been struggling with finding the right program/curriculum, I loved hearing that T4L was a good fit! We had that same problem many moons ago, when we started homeschooling. I tried piecing together workbooks, I tried a complete boxed curriculum, I tried just using printable worksheets...and I tried combining all of those things, lol. We were struggling every single day. Then I unexpectedly came across Time4Learning and have never looked back. That was 6 years ago and we have loved the program ever since.

I hope it continues to be a good fit for your family! Please feel free to ask any questions you may have...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Christy.
    I replied to your other post, also.
    My daughter does not have dyslexia, but she has learning challenges. We struggled with reading until we found a great reading program called Phono-Graphix. It was created for children with dyslexia, but is highly recommended for remedial readers and other challenges. If you google Phono-Graphix, you can find a lot of information. You can purchase workbooks, games and manipulatives at their website. You can also find a reading therapist that uses Phono-Graphix. You can use their book, Reading Reflex, and follow the guide set out in the book. That's a link to their book on Amazon, but you can find it or order it from most bookstores. That is the only program that helped my daughter to learn to decode words. She now loves to read and can read higher than what her grade level in most subjects. Time4Learning has helped to reinforce what she has learned and helped with her reading fluency and comprehension. We LOVE Time4Learning!!!

Welcome, Christy!! Enjoy your homeschooling journey. Homeschooling and T4L are the best choices we've made for our kids, I think you'll feel the same way!

Janet
    Having fun learning with our 3 children (2 high school & 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W)
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 02-25-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Amanda May Hurley is offline Junior Member Newbie

We are new to home schooling also! we have only been doing the t4l program a little over a week i love it! one question i did have though is there a set amount of time that the kids have to be doing school work? i have 2 kids w adhd and they seem to get burnt out quick doing their work 5 hours a day! so ant info that i can get would be great! am i allowed to do 1 subject a day for 2 hours a day? i dont want to get in trouble w the state!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Amanda. Welcome to T4L and to homeschooling.

You don't say what state you are in, so I don't know the laws in your state. You can go to HSLDA and check on that, though. I would also suggest you check on that same site for a homeschool support group in your area so you can get connected with other homeschoolers. This other link on State Homeschool Info may be helpful for you. At that link you will find a downloadable Welcome to Homeschool Guide with a lot of great information, including a suggested "plan your day" schedule.

Amanda, the beauty of homeschooling is that you know your kids best, you are their mom and teacher, so you do what is best for them. You don't say how old your kids are. I would, however, say that 5 hours a day is quite a lot. You can have them work for an hour and take a 30-minute break before going on again to do more lessons. We have a coupe of hours throughout the day when I work independently with my daughter on some hands on materials. The second hour I will spend some time reading with her.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Janet
    having fun learning with our 3 kids (2 high school & 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W)