Hello

Thread: Hello

Gypsy 112 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Red face Hello

Hi I am new and just starting the homeschooling process. I decided to pull my 10 year old 5th grader out after thinking for sometime about if this was the right choice and what finally made my mind up was the one afternoon I went to pick my son up from school and as I moved up in the line I saw my son walking out head down looking completely defeated. The lady that put him in the car, we had gone to school all the way back since elementary and we had graduated together; she now taught music, as she put him in the car she informed me that my son had caused a minor dispurbance in music class that day and apparantly had also caused an issue in the pick up that afternoon. Now I looked at my son and found this odd as he was not one to get in trouble or cause problems so I asked what it was he had done. In class that day while singing he continued to sing a little to loud when they had stopped. I was kind of unsure what the actual problem was remembering that this woman was once quit the class clown in her youth so I asked and her response was, "oh, nothing really was just kind of annoying him being loud." All I could think was wow I'm sorry my 10 year old annoyed you by being 10, but then she told me what he got in trouble for in pick up and this just blew my mind. He got in trouble because he had his notebook out drawing instead of sitting with his hands in his lap at level zero, (now he wasn't talking mind you) until his name was called, so he was going to have to stand on the wall the next day. Seriously he's 10 people 10! OK so he maybe extremly intellegent but he's still 10. So I decided that enough was enough and I found time4learning after talking to my oldeest son's therrapist who highly recommended it. I have talked with several mom's who home school for many reasons but the main reason is the love of thier child and I love my sons, I only wish my 15 year old would agree to it but he's to social. Anyways I ask that yall give me support cause I'm gonna need it and thanks for letting me rant

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello

Hi, and welcome!

Thanks for sharing your story. We're glad you found us, and we hope you'll check in here often.

A teen doesnt have to agree to being homeschooled, as it's the parent's decision. However, I do agree that they'll probably be more successful if they have some input at that age. They're almost grown! I did take my eldest out of public school when he was a teen (I was already homeschooling his younger brothers and sisters). He was very agreeable to it, because he knew he would be able to graduate early.

Much luck to you as you pursue what's right and best for your own kids!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!