Hello

Thread: Hello

Beetlebugg is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello

Just started homeschooling my son today. He is 11 and in grade 6. I am nervous and worried about messing up. I have been thinking about homeschooling for awhile. It seems that the school is just pushing him along, and not concerned about his actually learning math and language arts. So we are keeping him home this week and giving it a try. We need to see if we can do this together. Any guidance would be great.

McNeelyplus4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I know how you feel. My daughters school was giving her the same work day after day even though she was passing all of her test. During the summer we worked really hard to get her caught up but the teacher was giving her easier work than what she was capible and so we had to pull her out. I have found a lot of different websights that will let you copy free worksheets that helps for extra practice, but I heard that time 4 learning was a good start. Today is my first day on this sight so I guess we can learn together

Liz E is offline Member

We have been homeschooling since the beginning, but I have heard that some parents do what is called de-schooling letting their kids do anything of learning value of their choosing for a few weeks after leaving conventional school. Then they get into the new routine. If you are only trying it for a week first, don't feel like you have to cram in everything. When we started just over a year ago, the first week, was crazy. I really over did it with the kids. Luckily, we found Time4Learning soon after that. Remember that homeschool is way more efficient than conventional school so formal lessons will take a fraction of the time. The rest of the time can be more flexible with books, puzzles, and projects.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Beetlebugg. I'm Kathi, I'm the moderator of the New Jersey Parent Forum. I just wanted to give you an invitation to stop over and visit with us for a while. I have a nine year old boy who has never been to school. We have used time4learning since the beginning. I also wanted to mention what Liz said about deschooling. It's important that your son and you have some time to unlearn the way school works. Rather than jumping in to do a bunch or work to see how homeschooling goes. I would spend the time letting him relax. Maybe spend a day at Liberty Science Center. Or even a day at Funplex just to unwind. Connect with a few of the local homeschool groups. This is important so your son can meet other kids his age who are homeschooling. You don't want him to think he's the only one. It will also give you the opportunity to meet othe parents and ask all those questions. Homeschooling is nothing like school in a classroom. Your son has been away from home for six or seven hours a day and then had homework on top of that when he got home. When you start homeschooling, you will probably find that he is finished for the day in two hours or less. And that is okay. He is getting one on one attention and he is not waiting for all the other students to get to the same place in their work. So the day will go much faster. You are so fortunate to be in Jersey. Once you notify his school that he will be homeschooling and not returning to their school, that's all you have to do. The school may try to tell you that they have to approve your curriculum but in New Jersey, they don't even have the right to ask to see your curriculum. Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. See you over on the New Jersey Parent Forum.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota