Hello from AAC Maryland
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JessHarvey

Thread: Hello from AAC Maryland

JessHarvey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello from AAC Maryland

Hello!

I am a father 3. 16, 14 and 9. My wife and I have made the choice to homeschool after a very long and fruitless year at South River High School.

I really want my children to love learning and really embrace education as a life-long skill.
    JohnEdelson likes this.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Hello from AAC Maryland

Welcome! I have 4 kids. All have used T4L. Two have graduated and I have two more to go.

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Jess,
    Congratulations on your decision. Welcome to homeschooling. Are you going to homeschool all four? Is it going to be done primarily by you? You and your wife? Just her?

As a starting point, you might read the Welcome to Homeschooling Guide and the Homeschooling and Loving Book.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning is Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum: Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!

MJ510 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by JessHarvey View Post
    Hello!

I am a father 3. 16, 14 and 9. My wife and I have made the choice to homeschool after a very long and fruitless year at South River High School.

I really want my children to love learning and really embrace education as a life-long skill.
    Welcome Jess! I'm sorry your kids had a poor experience with your school but good for you and your wife for taking a stand and making a difference!

I have children the same age (and a few more mixed in for good measure!) We also share a mission. As a long-time homeschooler, my hope is to instill in each of my children a lifelong love of learning! This can start by leading by example! With homeschooling you have a lot more freedom and flexibility. Look for something you can learn together -- a new hobby (photography, coding, geocaching, nature-hiking, cooking, working together to build something.. etc.)

John Edelson shared some great resources to help you with getting started!

If you choose Time4Learning as your curriculum from your Parent Dashboard, you will be able to make adjustments by subject to help you address any learning gaps.. and have the flexibility to move forward whenever your child is ready. Within the Parent Dashboard, you'll also find even more learning resources -- spelling lists, printable worksheets, new activity planner (LOVE!!), reports to track attendance, progress, grades earned and more. You even have the option to add on a foreign language, instructor-led 1:1 writing course, etc. (My kids did Latin with Spanish next!)

Since you are making this transition, you may want to explore local homeschool groups to have them connect. (If they are into sports, music, science, etc. -- you can even find options for these! A few of mine, for example, play on a competitive homeschool soccer team and play in local, state and national competitions.) A2Z HomesCool has a great list of Maryland Homeschooling Resources!

Take time to really enjoy the freedom of learning with homeschooling! Recognize homeschooling isn't solely at home! Your area is so rich with options to explore! Enjoy!

~Missy