Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo
  • 2 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: Hello All! :)

Veganlicious is offline Junior Member Newbie

Red face Hello All! :)

Hi there,

My name is Teresa Prisco and I just started homeschooling this year. I have four beautiful children, a 13 year old girl, an 8 year old boy, a seven year old boy, and a four year old girl. I decided to homeschool because I was simply fed up with the system. While my 13 year old and 7 year old didn't seem to have any major issues aside from boredom and questionable teachers, my 8 year old son has a slight learning disability. His needs were not met by the Child Study Team or the special education teachers, and my poor boy struggled through the school years, and shed far too many tears.

On top of his struggles, my 4 year old has a rare form of Rett Syndrome that causes seizures and many learning disabilities. On days when she was out of sorts or not feeling well, I would keep her home from school (of course), only to be reprimanded and blamed for her not progressing in her therapies, which by the way were very limited and did not (I felt) meet the needs of my daughter.

After all of the struggle and disappointment from the school district, teachers, and counselors I decided to pull my kids out and do it on my own. It's certainly been a learning experience (for all of us), and it's not always pretty, but I would never resort to placing them back into the school system. They are truly blooming before my eyes and it is so nice to be able to avoid the struggle and the tears and the heartache.

My kids are happy, my husband is happy, and I'm happy. What more could a mom ask for!?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Teresa, sounds like a win-win situation! We are so glad you found Time4Learning. Make sure to visit the New Jersey State Forum so see what others in your state have to say about homeschooling in NJ. Remember that there is a learning curve as you all begin this new journey, but from my point of view at least, it is well worth a few bumps in the road to see children really blossom in their education. Remember that there is usually a slight "decompression" time when children pulled from a traditional school setting to home need to get use to learning a different way. I think you are already seeing the difference homeschooling can make. Isn't it great!? Hope to see you around the forums and welcome!!
    Veganlicious likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Teresa. Welcome to the forums and to homeschooling. You'll love homeschooling in NJ. Once you let the school know that you are withdrawing your children, that's it. No reports or testing or anything. There are some great homeschool support groups there as well. Check out NJ Homeschool Hangout on Meetup.com and GECKO on yahoo groups. Both of these groups are great with lots and lots of activities both social and educational.
    MamaToHerRoo and Veganlicious like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks!

I It is definitely a learning curve for all of us, but it certainly is worth all the bumps in the road. It's taken me some time to get out of the "what are they doing in the public school system" mind frame, but now that I am, my kids and I are all struggling less. Once we get really organized, I'm considering trying T4L out with my four year old.

Thanks for your reply Linda, it's nice to have the encouragement, and will be checking out the NJ forum. Thanks for reminding me!

~Teresa~

Kathi,

Thank you so much! I've been trying to find homeschool support in my area, but it got so overwhelming that I keep putting it off. I will definitely check out the links you gave me!

~Teresa~

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

You are welcome! I have to seriously second the idea of finding a support group. Friends for you, friends for kids, shoulder to cry on, hand to hold, pat on the back when you have a victory. I know that it would be really difficult for me to homeschool without a support group! They can help make things less overwhelming!
    Veganlicious likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!