Hello from Apollo Beach, Florida
    kristenandkiernan is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from Apollo Beach, Florida

Hi, I'm Kristen and my 7 year old daughter Kiernan is thoroughly enjoying homeschooling through this curriculum. We just moved to Apollo Beach Florida from Georgia where she was in public school so I was really nervous about trying to come up with lesson plans that were engaging because Kiernan is sharp but has such a short attention span.

She loves the games, videos, and takes pride in getting the answers correct on quizzes and tests. I am so relieved to have found this program.

We originally decided to homeschool because Kiernan was struggling with getting in trouble for talking or drawing in class. She would finish her work early and would be expected to sit quietly for long periods of time which isn't something she is very good at. Now she looks forward to learning and goes at her own pace.

The only downside I can think of to homeschooling is the lack of socialization due to the area we live in. I haven't found many groups and we live on the water in an area that mostly has retirees so she has had trouble finding friends... she was used to having many friends and is very outgoing and entertaining so I would like to find more opportunities for her to meet other kids. Does anyone have any ideas as to where to meet friends when you homeschool? Parks and libraries?

Thank you for any advice! I am really looking forward to being a part of this forum and community.

Cheers,
    Kristen

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Kristen, and welcome! My oldest is in 9th grade, still using T4L (has been since 2nd grade!). It was life saving when we found it. Or, at least felt that way to us, lol. So glad to hear that it's working well for you guys so far!

Make sure you stop by the Florida homeschool forum, if you haven't already. That would be the best place to try and find others who are near you.

Hope to see you around the boards!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Becky Sil is offline Junior Member Newbie

There is a group in Apollo Beach: www.homeschool-life.com/fl/southshore

Hope this helps!