Hello everyone! couple questions...
    J&Zmommy05 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello everyone! couple questions...

Hey there! I'm new to the program. I have a seven year old daughter that just started this week. She is all about computer games so I figured she would do well with this site's program. I'm also new to homeschooling in general. We had a great first week! I do have a few questions for yall out there though. First how do I know how much work should be done in a day/week. My daughter completed all of chapter one in math and LA this week and soared through several science and s.s. activities. Would that be considered a lot or not enough? I've been having her work for about 2-3 hours a day on T4L then we move on to a book based mini unit study. I just need help figuring out if I'm pacing her right. Also is there any way on here we can review for tests ahead of time? Like worksheets or anything? Thanks so much and I Look forward to a great first year!
    Rebecca

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hello and Welcome, Rebecca!

Since you are new to homeschooling, this free e-book might be helpful. It was written by veteran homeschoolers just for new homeschoolers. It's comprehensive without being overwhelming.

Just my own personal opinion, others might disagree, but 2-3 hours of T4L a day is quite a bit for a 7 year old, especially in one sitting. I would definitely break it up into smaller chunks. I see you are also working on a mini unit study. Are you also supplementing other things like handwriting, reading aloud, p.e. type things, art, music, spelling... If you add all of that to the 2-3 hours of T4L, the day can get quite long for a young girl. I'd hate to see burnout. Lots of homeschoolers spend about four hours a day on schooling.

Since you are in TX you have lots of freedom on how you homeschool. Be sure to stop by the Texas state forum to look around and introduce yourself.

One way to figure how many lessons to do a day is to take the amount of days in your school year schedule and divide by the lesson amounts for each subject. The lesson plans are in your parent admn. Here are directions for accessing them. Of course you will want to maybe work in field trips and homeschool co-op activities, so it will just be a guideline.

This page
    offers more tips for using the Time4Learning system.

There is not a review really, but you can always go back over lessons as much as you want before a quiz or even after a quiz. If you take a quiz and don't do as good on it as you'd like, you can retake it. The questions will not always be the same, and if it is scored, the score will be an average of the tests.

If a lesson has a worksheet, you will see the word 'Resource' under the activity. You can also access them through your parent admn. page, you will see an icon for them.

Anyone else have tips or hints for Rebecca?
    Last edited by jpenn; 10-19-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

J&Zmommy05 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for all the great advice Jackie! I had a feeling I was going a little overboard. I'm still figuring all this out and your reply really helped. Thanks again!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Rebecca. Welcom to Time4Learning and to homeschooling.

Jackie has given you excellent advice. I think she's covered everything.

I love reading, so I always like to suggest to foster a love of reading. You may be doing that with the book-based mini unit study. I try to make at least 3 trips to the library throughout the month, or one weekly trip. Each of my kids have their own library card. We keep fun books in a basket in their rooms or in the living room. Like Jackie mentioned, we have read aloud times, which my older kids enjoy just as much as my youngest daughter. And my kids often see me reading in my free time. Kids often learn by example.

Lastly, at age 7, I started each of my kids on journaling/writing. They write about anything they want, varying in length depending on their age. This is not graded or corrected. It's just for pleasure. My oldest is 18, and I love looking back at what she wrote in her early years. In addition to the 'writing for fun' we also do copy work or dictation.

Of course, like I mentioned, reading is a priority for me. Some parents love science or math, so their homeschool focuses more on those subjects, doing fun science projects and making math interesting. I'm not particularly creative, but we've been part of some fun art groups and done some interesting science projects with other families. This is where it helps to be in a homeschool support group where you can meet other families to learn and grow together.

Enjoy your homeschool journey! I look forward to seeing more of you here in the forums.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass