Hello from Florida
    m4luci is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile Hello from Florida

Hello, new to the forum, however I have been lurking for a long time. I am a stay at home mom of 2 boys, 6 and 8. I love this forum, you all have so much useful information on homeschooling.
    Husband and I have thought about homeschooling for the past 2 years. It is very overwhelming and we never got to it. We are now ready to homeschool. It is the best option for our boys, for many reasons .
    I have done tons of research in the past 2 years. But I always have questions. I am pretty sure of what course of action to take and what I will do for my kids. However I have one question. I have not been able to find any information and maybe you guys can enlighten me.
    My kids are in 1st and 3rd grade. They started school in Aug and are half way through the year. We are pulling them out during winter break. How do I do their attendance once I start homeschooling? Do I have to start their year over or will their first semester in school count? Basically do I pick up where they left off and make up the remainder of the 180 days of the school year? I would really hate it if they have to start the year over.

Thank you in advance. I am glad i am finally on this forum. I have so much to learn from all of you.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! I am so glad to hear that you've found help and resources in our forums!

I've been homeschooling since 2005, and I still find myself with questions from time to time, lol. It's nice to have people to turn to for help, even if they are online rather than in person.

According to the Florida homeschool laws I read, FL gives homeschooling families three options. If you operate under option 1, you are excluded from the mandated 180 day count. However, regardless of which option you find yourself homeschooling under, you should be able to count the days they attended public school in that 180 count, so you wouldn't have to start the year over or anything.

As far as tracking their attendance...if you do fall under option 1, but want to keep up with it for your own records, you could do that any way that's easiest. Some people have day planners they mark an "x" in, some people keep a wall calendar they mark off. I keep a spreadsheet on my computer, since I'm always at in anyway.

In case you'd like any additional reading material, here is a great Welcome to Homeschooling ebook that's a good resource for new homeschoolers. There is also this Hints and Help page that can help you learn more about the T4L site.

I hope you'll poke around all the forums here, and see who you can meet (especially the Florida homeschool forum where you can try and connect with other members who might be local to you) and what conversations you can jump into. Always feel free to ask any questions you have.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing you around the boards!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

m4luci is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for your reply and for all the useful information. I will be homeschooling under and umbrella school, so my children will be listed as in private school. I thought I still had to keep track of attendance regardless of the direction I took. But now I understand it a bit more, I will keep attendance regardless though. So attendance should not be my biggest worry. Now I have to pick the curriculum I want to use, which I am going back and forth on with my husband. Thanks again and I have read a lot of information on this forum and will continue to do so.