• 1 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By Brook Simmons
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: Hello I am a Summer school try out

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Smile Hello I am a Summer school try out

Hello,
    My name is Brook
    I am a mom of a soon to be 2nd grader. I have always wanted to home school her but never have out of fear. We ran into a bunch of issues at the public school this year that really made me yearn to home school again. I have three reasons for keeping her in a public school
    1. She is in a lottery school and is taking Spanish in a Spanish immersion class, She wants to learn a foreign language.
    2. With my daughters special needs she needs all the social skills she can get and learn proper times to use them.
    3. There are times when my daughter and I really need a break from each other or she will not listen to me.
    There are many more for teaching her myself:
    Religion, school bullying, teaching her with her learning style and her level of progress, my knowing where she is, what she is doing, and Medical/health issues.
    My daughter is special needs and is behind in some things and extremely gifted in others. I want to prevent regression and play catch up. I am hoping to use this summer vacation to see if I can handle homeschooling or put those thoughts to rest. My daughter loved the trial version on this site and I finally made a deal with my hubby to pay for a membership.
    I am excited that it keeps records for you because I am really excited to see where my daughter stands when she is not feeling pushed or harassed. The school and I disagree about my daughters learning capabilities and if homeschooling is a flop it would be nice to have visual proof of what she was successful with. I can use it in her I.E.P. meetings to get clues as to what may need to be done.

We live in Alaska, We are a very Homeschooling friendly state.
    My husband and I both have children(well...teenagers) from prior marriages but only the child from our marriage lives with us now.
    I am a stay at home mom and wife. My husband works at a very well known gunstore as a smith and works security for events.
    I am religious and attend The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
    We have African Clawed frogs, guppies that survive them, and worms for there food, as pets. All of them are very spoiled.
    my daughters favorite subject use to be reading but something seems to have happened and now she refuses to read. She taught herself to read or I taught her accidentally when practicing speech sounds and pointing at letters. She caught on letters sound like there names. When last tested her scores were at 3rd grade level and they said she was refusing to participate. Here recently I would say she has been more creative and wanting to be crafty or artsy. She likes to collect or attach herself to ordinary rocks I think that is as close to a hobby she gets.

My favorite subjects change depending on the material. I love to read, crochet, do artsy things but most of all I seem to get stuck doing all kinds of interesting things on the internet.
    Well that should be enough for now. Its late and I really should be getting some sleep. Good night now and what ever time of day it is for you when you read this I hope it is going splendidly.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Brook, and welcome! Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful introduction to you and your family!

It sounds like you are really weighing the pros and cons of homeschooling, and I think that only good can come from that. In your daughter's case, your reasons for keeping her in a public school are strong, valid ones. On the other hand, so are your reasons for wanting to try your hand at homeschooling, lol. I think giving it a try over the summer is a fantastic idea because it will give all of you a chance to see if it's something you want to pursue further, and, if it's really the best option for your daughter.

I would like to recommend a couple of links for you, to read now or just have for reference in the coming weeks/months. There is a Welcome to Homeschooling guide which you might find helpful. There's also a Getting Started with Time4Learning guide that can be helpful for learning more about T4L and navigating the site.

We do have an Alaska homeschool forum that you can subscribe to (it can be a good resource for meeting others near you, and for keeping with laws/activities/etc in the state) and there is a forum specifically for Time4Learning for Summer Use.

I hope your summer-school experiment goes wonderfully. Please always feel free to ask any questions you have, and keep us posted with how things are going for you!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

I just learned how to up my childs reading a grade level. She is reading and it had three lessons that were completely useless to her. It read to her following along and went way slower than what she could read it herself. She loved the stories but did not like rereading it three times in a row. I am hoping that by uping the grade it will skip the reading to her part or do something more interesting for her in language arts. I guess we will see.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My son really hates those repeated lessons. We just skip them. If he reads one of the set I don't make him do the rest of them.
    bailbrae likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

I agree I did not make her either but she wants to do it all because she is afraid she will miss out on something.

She did her first social studies assignment yesterday. I was so excited. She was learning things I never took the time to learn. She must have a visual memory because she only watched that visual aid one time and she knew all the oceans and continents. It was Awesome! She looked at me for one and asked me if it was right and I told her honestly that is why mom has wikipedia. She did not turn around again and did it all with no help and got none of them wrong.
    bailbrae likes this.

Ok I have just looked at 3 or more Homeschooling curriculum for 2nd grade. The sets they were selling to teach your kids. I did not see any that would satisfy me, in fact I looked at them and started counting how many of the books they wanted me to purchase my daughter already read and got bored of last year. If this summer goes good and I am not pulling out my hair and sending her to school for the breather, I am definitely homeschooling her. Seeing what they require I am wondering just exactly what is the difficulty. To be perfectly honest, No kid needs to know anything till the end of there 3rd grade year. I looked at our 3rd grade level tests for my state and I can not be perfectly sure but I have a hunch she could pass it right now. I tempted to see if I could get her to do one of them just to see. I would definitely know what it was we needed to work on to more than satisfy the state ( my state that is)

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Brook I'm glad your daughter is liking time4learning. It is so much fun learning with them. There are so many things that I never learned in school or I had forgotten that I have learned with my son.
    Robin likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Update once again. Had a hard time keeping her from the computer on Sunday. She threw a fit she could not be on T4L on the Sabbath. I made a compromise and told her she could watch the science programs as long as she kept in mind how it falls into creations,but could not take any quizzes.
    Today Anna and I agreed on a schedule. She is going to work on her Spanish until I wake up. She wakes before I do in the summer time. I have already bookmarked all the approved sites and videos for her.
    Then when I wake up she will move over and let me do my scripture studies, during that time she can make lunch and take a breather watering plants we planted then come inside and write notes in her scriptures ( she absolutely refuses to do handwriting so I am passing this off as scripture study)Then she can start T4L when done she can be on the playground.
    We are wanting to add music lessons. I own a recorder and tonight my husband picked up a 99cent recorder and we got lucky it has a crisp note when played. So I am currently researching lessons to teach us to play the recorder. I will make a new thread for that if I find anything that has not been posted already in some of the discussion threads.