Hello, I'm new to this!
    SpringFox is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Hello, I'm new to this!

Hi everyone. My name is Kit and I'm from Mississippi. I had never thought of homeschooling until I found out that my small area didn't really know how to deal with a 22q child. After an incident within, his therapists advised he be removed from their system. During this ordeal I also realized that my oldest was not being challenged enough in certain subjects that he was more advanced at, and they were overlooking it. While I understand the laws regarding my state, I also found they give no information on what steps to go. I was told when I went up and registered that they take a "hands off" approach and it is now 100% up to me to figure out. That said, I'm not exactly sure where to start. I found this site among some others and decided to start here. Now the questions are.. do I seek out text books? if so where? do I need another program? What do I do next? Sorry for sounding so confused. I'd welcome any suggestions and information that can be offered.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello, I'm new to this!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringFox View Post
    Hi everyone. My name is Kit and I'm from Mississippi. I had never thought of homeschooling until I found out that my small area didn't really know how to deal with a 22q child. After an incident within, his therapists advised he be removed from their system. During this ordeal I also realized that my oldest was not being challenged enough in certain subjects that he was more advanced at, and they were overlooking it. While I understand the laws regarding my state, I also found they give no information on what steps to go. I was told when I went up and registered that they take a "hands off" approach and it is now 100% up to me to figure out. That said, I'm not exactly sure where to start. I found this site among some others and decided to start here. Now the questions are.. do I seek out text books? if so where? do I need another program? What do I do next? Sorry for sounding so confused. I'd welcome any suggestions and information that can be offered.
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Time4Learning isn't an online school. Many people mistakenly think of or refer to online schools as "homeschooling". The two are actually very different.

You said you understand the laws in your state, but homeschool laws and school laws are very, very different, so I usually like to make sure a new homeschool parent is looking at homeschool laws and not laws for schools. A great place to find your state's homeschool laws is the A2Z Home's Cool Site: Homeschool Laws. Since Time4Learning isn't an online school, we allow anyone to sign up at any time. We do encourage you to follow the homeschool laws in your state, but we don't oversee that, because homeschool laws are directed at the parent. That is also why your child's previous school is taking a "hands-off" approach. When you decide to homeschool, you get to make the majority of the decisions. All states allow the parent to choose the curriculum they want to use, and Time4Learning is one curriculum you may choose. We are popular among beginning homeschool families, because everything you need is online.

This one-minute video does a good job of explaining how Time4Learning works: How It Works

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!