Hello ! My family and I are new to homeschooling.
    MMMeyerx6 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello ! My family and I are new to homeschooling.

Hello,
    My family and I have moved into a new place, and state. I will be homeschooling my boys for the school year of 18-19. They have been in the public school system. I have been a paraprofessional for extended resource- teaching special needs children for the Elementary.

I would like to know what is a good homeschooling program for Elementary age children. For the grades of 4th and 5th.

Thanks !

MJ510 is offline Member

Default Re: Hello ! My family and I are new to homeschooling.

Ah! I had my response typed and accidentally closed all my tabs! Had to find time to get back. Sorry about that!

Welcome to Time4Learning and congratulations on your new home, state, and way of life! Sounds like there are many positives happening for you and your family!

Since you are new to homeschooling you may benefit from this free 'Welcome to Homeschooling' Guide. It offers you an overview of homeschooling, information on how to find homeschooling laws, learning styles, curriculum options and more: "Welcome to Homeschooling" - Guide for Families

Time4Learning offers curriculum for PreK - 12th grade. You may find it a good choice as you make this transition. It is very interactive and engaging for kids. From the Parent side you will find tons of resources and flexibility available. With your subscription you will receive access not only to the grade level you select but also the ones immediately above and below. This gives you the ability to make adjustments by subject in case there are learning gaps. You also have the freedom to move forward whenever your child is ready (no more waiting for the rest of the class!) For reports - you will find a number of options to track attendance, grades and more. There are spelling lists, printable worksheets if you'd like them for extra practice, activity planners you can customize, lesson plans, etc. Want to add a foreign language or 1 on 1 writing class? You can!

Below are links to overviews for the grades you mentioned. Each offers more information on individual subjects and lesson plans.

4th Grade Curriculum Overview

5th Grade Curriculum Overview

One additional tip: As you make the transition to homeschooling you will find it helpful to take time to 'deschool' either over the summer or during the first several weeks of homeschooling. Keep this mantra in mind: Homeschooling does not have to mean 'school at home.' You have so much more freedom and flexibility available! For example: Take time to explore your new home state! (Not sure where you live but perhaps one of these Field Trip Guides can offer inspiration!) What are your kids' interests? Horses? Do a unit study! Watch the Time4Learning Facebook page as fun learning resources to enhance your homeschool are shared daily like this one for Flag Day! (My kids can't wait to see what's available for Shark Week! LOL)

Whatever you decide, don't stress! Enjoy all the new opportunities you have ahead!

Wishing you all the best!
    ~Missy