Hello and need help
    McNeelyplus4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello and need help

I am very new to all of this. My daughter has ADHD and even with her problems she still loved school until this year. The school choose to put her in a special Ed class most of the day because she was so far behind and there has been nothing but problems with the teacher. It started when she got her first report card that said that she was not passing the 2nd grade, but on all her papers she was getting 100's and ended with the teacher bulling my very shy and timid 8 year old. The board of education wouldn't do anything about the problems and my daughter was crying her eyes out ever morning when I made her go and every evening when she got home for one thing or another that had happened at school that day. So needless to say my husbnd and I pulled her from school which wasn't a quick easy thing to do when you live in wayne county. I have been looking up a lot of stuff and have got lots of things free, but it is hard for me to set with her the whole time she is working. I also have a 4 year old who is preK, a 3 year old, a 17 month old, and we are expecting in the middle of April. Besides the fact that I work a few time job (luckly I work midnights and so I am home with her during the day) I am hoping that the time 4 learning will help make homeschooling easier while still getting her what she needs. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought that I would be able to make out what lessons I wanted her to do, but I don't seem to be able to assign them to her.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning.com. Sorry to hear that your daughter has had issues with school. I want to recommend you check out the West Virginia forum and the Special Needs forum. Both will be able to help you out in your homeschooling journey.

As for lessons check out the Members Chat on Using Time4Learning.com. There is a wealth of information for that forum.
    Best of luck!
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

The assignment function doesn't work for Time4Learning users because the original curriculum was intended for school use. So you will have to make the assignments by hand. However, you can either make the assignments manually, or you can tell her to just do the next assignment. You would not have to sit with her all the time if you could say, do two maths and then do two language arts (and have her do them in order).
    I will tell you that I pulled my ADHD daughter out of public school in the middle of 1st grade for many of the reasons you stated. I found that in homeschool she needed me to be more attentive than just tell her to do assignments and expect for her to get that accomplished. She is in 6th grade now and I still spend much of the day doing school with her because of her ADHD and being easily distracted. I do have an only child so there is not competition for my attention, so things, out of necessity, will probably work differently for you.
    Happy homeschooling and good luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

McNeelyplus4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you to both of you. I am finding that as long as she has had her meds that she seems to stay more focused and less destracted, but my husband and I hate the fact that she is on it to begin with and are hoping to take her off it completely while homeschooling. I am planning to quit my job next month and hopefully that will also make things easier. She is already doing better at home. Thank you again it is not easy to find anyone to talk to about these things most of my friends and parts of my family believe that public school is better for them cause of the social things and learning to cope with reality. They think I am tring to shelter her, but I do not like to see her mistreated and upset. Nor do I like to think that she isn't getting the education that she diserves just because she learns differently than most kids her age.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I know it's so frustrating when things like this happen. My grandaughter was bringing home all 100% papers. You can imagine my daughter's surprise when she brought home a failing report card. The teacher finally said it was because she did not work fast enough and that is why she was failing. My daughter brought her home. Now she can work at her own speed and is doing very well. She always understood the work but couldn't preform fast enough to satisfy the teacher. I'm sure you will find that yur daughter will continue to improve as time goes by now that she is home.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

channlink is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am new to this site and so far find it confusing. Am I supposed to pick out his lessons for the week and somehow add them to his profile or do we just log onto his account and start doing lessons in each subject. I thought it would be easier to understand. Please help

Channlink,
    You do not have to answer to Time4Learning for anything except your payment! Just log into his account and start doing lessons as you see fit, in the order and at the speed that works for your child. That is part of the beauty of this system. You use it like you need to to get it to work for your family. I hope that helps. If you need clarification, or if I misunderstood your response, please feel free to post again.

Happy homeschooling!
    Linda

channlink is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Symbol meaning lesson waiting

I saw where it says if you see this symbol (blue circle) then it means you have a lesson waiting. How do I know there is a lesson waiting and does this save his test? Where do I go to see them?

This "lesson waiting" function does not work for homeschoolers. The program was originally designed for children to go to the computer lab, pull up their account, and have a lesson/assignment pre-selected for them to do. Time4Learning does not have this function, so there is no lesson waiting or a way to make assignments at this time.
    Basically, your child can either do the next lesson in a line up, or you can go through and write out the assignments you want him to do. He can tell if a lesson is done by looking to see if a given lesson has a check in the circle, or a spinning star. If he takes a quiz or chapter test, and completes the test and gets a score, this information will automatically be saved to his account.
    You can see what work he has accomplished for the day, the week, or the month by clicking on "My portfolio" which looks like a back pack on the top left hand side of the blue screen where the subjects are listed. It will show you what is completed, a score if it was a scored lesson, the time and date it was done. All activities, quizzes, and chapter tests will be visible. You can also pull reports, for example, if you wanted to see only the science quizzes he took over a months period, you could make the selections on the report function and it would list those for you.
    I hope I answered your questions, but if I didn't, please feel free to write back and ask again and we will do our best to help you with your concerns!
    Linda