Hello from Needville, Texas
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: Hello from Needville, Texas

cgordon78 is offline Junior Member

Wink Hello from Needville, Texas

Hi all. My name is Christy. We live in Needville, TX which is located about 50 miles south of Houston between Rosenberg and Wharton. I am a photographer and run my own business Just A Pretty Picture Photography. I have been happily married for 15 years and have 4 wonderful children. My children are 17, 15, 12, and 7. My daughters (the 3 oldest) all attend public school here in Needville and my son attended elementary here up until this school year. My husband and I made the decision for me to homeschool him after our experience last year. His teacher was wonderful BUT Cortland would get into trouble quite often because he would fidget and play at his desk when he was done with his work. I know alot of parents say this but I am not kidding when I say that this little man is one smart cookie. Anyhow, I had several meetings with his teacher throughout the year and it was always the same thing, I would tell them he is only acting out because he is bored and not being challenged enough. That got me absolutely nowhere. So after checking to see what other options may have been available for him this year and coming up with no solution (apparently the GT program here does absolutely nothing different) and not wanting my boy to stay in trouble all year we concluded that homeschool will be the best option for him.
    Name:  068.75193324_large.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  101.4 KB

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Christy,
    Welcome to Time4Learning! Parts of story are similar to yours, I had a daughter in 1st grade who was in trouble constantly,refused to do busy work, and couldn't sit still. She, too, stayed in trouble because she was bored, but GT only allowed 45 minutes of"enrichment" WEEKLY. By the middle of 1st grade the school presented me with 2 options, 1) suspend her, or 2) paddling. I didn't feel like any of the options they offered were the right one for us. I never wanted to homeschool but found that it was the best choice for us at the time. A lot of people who homeschool hit similar walls before deciding to take the plunge to homeschool.
    Seven years later we are still going strong. I can’t imagine any other way of educating my daughter than homeschooling.
    Anyway, we are overjoyed that you are here, and have begun the wonderful homeschooling adventure. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, and check out theTexas State Forum, you will find a wealth of information over there.
    cgordon78 likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!