Hello! new with questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: Hello! new with questions

sumscruggs is offline Junior Member

Default Hello! new with questions

Hi my name is Summer. I just enrolled my 6 year old for 1st grade and we signed up for the free spelling and vocabulary. I don't know how to find it though. Can some tell me? Also does time4learning offer any other curriculum? Like a website for hand writing or science projects?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling and to Time4Learning. SpellingCity.com is the site for spelling and vocabulary. Learninggamesforkids.com is another site full of learning games for all ages. Time4Learning does offer time4writing and time4art but they are for older children. Time4learning does not offer a hand writing program or science projects other than the ones included in the lessons. Pop Bottle Science is good for little ones. I'm not sure of the ages on it. You can find it on Amazon.com for just a few dollars. I used Handwriting Without Tears for my son. You can buy the workbook without all the other stuff for a very small price.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Also, you can print handwriting pages from Spelling City. As Kathi said, welcome to homeschooling. I hope you love it as much as we do!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Hi. I tried to reply earlier. Dont think it worked so well.

Anyway I was wondering about the curriculum, i generated one from today until june 21st. It looks great but its showing a lot of worksheets that have to be printed out and done by hand. How do we grade them or note that they have been completed? Also the activities he has to do with each lesson, those are the games and stories on the website right? How do I locate them? It sure would be easier if they were clicky and would just link me to the activity.

I am slightly confused and overwhelmed.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi sumscruggs! Sorry about your other post not showing up...often times, we have to moderate posts in the forums (to help prevent spammers) and I just didn't get a chance to approve it yet, lol.

I will try to address your questions, but I would also like to direct you to our Hints and Help page...lots of good info there about using the site!

As far as the worksheets go, those are just additional resources. They aren't required, they are just there in case your kiddo needs additional reinforcement or you would like them to work on some stuff off the computer.

My advice about working on the lessons, is to do them in order. Not everyone works better that way. Some prefer to look at the lesson plans and do each activity individually. But to do that, I think you have to actually go to the "activity finder" in your child's login and enter EACH activity number separately.

For my boys, they just log on and follow the arrows. If you start in order, on the first chapter of each subject, the program always knows what your child has completed and what they need to do next. All they have to do is look for the arrow telling them where to go. Once they have completed the activity/quiz/test/chapter, they will either see a check mark, or the word "completed," over the icon. I hope that made sense, lol. The Hints and Help page really is great for learning more about the site. On top of written directions and suggestions, there are also some super helpful videos.

I hope that helped, at least a little. Always feel free to answer any questions you may have!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    Hi sumscruggs! Sorry about your other post not showing up...often times, we have to moderate posts in the forums (to help prevent spammers) and I just didn't get a chance to approve it yet, lol.

I will try to address your questions, but I would also like to direct you to our Hints and Help page...lots of good info there about using the site!

As far as the worksheets go, those are just additional resources. They aren't required, they are just there in case your kiddo needs additional reinforcement or you would like them to work on some stuff off the computer.

My advice about working on the lessons, is to do them in order. Not everyone works better that way. Some prefer to look at the lesson plans and do each activity individually. But to do that, I think you have to actually go to the "activity finder" in your child's login and enter EACH activity number separately.

For my boys, they just log on and follow the arrows. If you start in order, on the first chapter of each subject, the program always knows what your child has completed and what they need to do next. All they have to do is look for the arrow telling them where to go. Once they have completed the activity/quiz/test/chapter, they will either see a check mark, or the word "completed," over the icon. I hope that made sense, lol. The Hints and Help page really is great for learning more about the site. On top of written directions and suggestions, there are also some super helpful videos.

I hope that helped, at least a little. Always feel free to answer any questions you may have!

Firstly thank you for replying! I was getting so confused lol.
    So what your saying is that now that I have something generated for him, when he logs onto his personal page he has little arrows under each subject that he just follows and it shows him how to do everything in order based on what was generated in his activity planner?

Blog Entries

I'm sorry, I know it can be confusing. If you already generated his activities, then he should be able to log in and the arrows should point to where he needs to go.

While you can go into the Activity Scheduler and generate activities for him, you don't have to do that if you want him to just start the grade level and do the lessons/activities in the order they are presented. He should log in where it says Lower Level Login. And once he's there, you'll all of the available subjects. Just click on one and you'll see an arrow on the left hand side pointing at the first icon. Just go from there.
    Katie

Thank you. With your help I got it figured out finally. Lol.

One more quick question though, we chose to do the free spelling and vocabulary website for a year. How do I sign up and it know I accepted it as my new member gift?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to second the idea of doing activities in order. I'm not sure if it matters much in 1st grade, however, math, in particular, builds on previous knowledge. In 5th grade math, I let my daughter do the math out of order, and found that to do decimals, she needed to have done fractions, and information from multiplication. After much hysteria, and many tears, I finally made her go back and start 5th grade math from the beginning. By doing the lessons in the order presented I was certain that she had been exposed to all of the concepts needed to move on. Doing math in order allows the building of all the necessary skills along the way and doesn't make the child feel hopeless or dumb.
    As for other subjects, we tend to skip around a bit at my daughter's whim. If she were not so strong willed, we would start and the beginning and do every lesson in order, but giving her a little bit of freedom to choose in other subjects lets her feel like she has some control.
    bailbrae likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sumscruggs View Post
    Thank you. With your help I got it figured out finally. Lol.

One more quick question though, we chose to do the free spelling and vocabulary website for a year. How do I sign up and it know I accepted it as my new member gift?
    You mean when you signed up, you selected the free year of the premium membership?
    Katie