Hello from Slower Lower Delaware
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo
  • 2 Post By WaltzerFamily

Thread: Hello from Slower Lower Delaware

WaltzerFamily is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from Slower Lower Delaware

Hello. I am a a newbie Homeschooler. My name is Susan, I am married to Lance and we have his/hers/ours children. Most of the older children have gone through the Public School system. We have two left in High School, a freshman and a Junior. (at two different schools). We also have a 7th grader in Charter School. Our "ours" kid was in a parochial Pre K last year that unfortunately shut their doors after educating many generations of children. Another branch will be opening in our area next fall, but we were left with finding an appropriate Kindergarten for our son, Aiden. He is too young for the Public Schools, but we did have him tested, and he qualified for early admittance. After finding out that there would be around 30 kids in any class at our local school, we decided that home school was our best option for this year.

We do plan to send him back to parochial school next year, barring unforeseen situations. We would prefer for him NOT to attend a public school settings. We have both gifted and special needs among our other children, and the special needs kids seem to get lost, and the gifted kids are not being challenged. Even though we are calling Aiden a kindergartener, he is doing mostly 1st grade curriculum, and some 2nd. This is a scary challenge for me. I'm not worried about Aiden's ability to learn, but my ability to teach.

I would love to hear tips, tricks, insights and resources from the other parents on this board.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Susan,
    Welcome toTime4Learning. You would probablyqualify for being an “accidental homeschooler” as T4L calls us. It was not your intention to homeschool butcircumstances indicate it is the best choice right now.
    I think you will find that Time4Learning is great for yourson. Because you have access to 3 gradelevels at a time (the grade his is signed up for, the one below, and the oneabove) you can allow him to be where he needs to be in each subject. The other reason T4L should work great foryou is that the lessons are planned for you. The lessons follow a logical progression and the program keeps greatrecords. This reduces the amount of timethat you have to put into school before and after. You don’t need to worry about your ability toteach, you will do great.
    Enjoy this time because children are such “sponges” forlearning at this age.
    The best tip I can mention off the top of my head is to lethim work at his own pace. If he wants todo an extra math but doesn’t want to do language arts today, you have theflexibility to allow that. And rememberthat you are homeschooling for a year, but you might find that it works so wellthat you might consider continuing homeschooling one year at a time.
    I’m the moderator in the Delawareforum and would love to have you visit over there.
    lovehmschlg likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi. Welcome to Time4Learning. We've been homeschooling our 3 kids for 13 years. We also have ours/his/hers kids. Our kids from our first marriages were 8 when we met and they attended public school they often say they wished they were homeschooled...and are homeschooling their kids). They're adults now. "Our" oldest will be graduating from homeschool this year. She's also dual enrolled in some college courses and still finishing up some high school classes at home.
    I think you and your son will like Time4Learning. My daughter LOVES the animated and interactive lessons. One of the things I love about it is that we have access to 3 grade levels for each subject. She is stronger at Language Arts than she is at math, so she works at different levels. In addition to T4L, we do some copy work and a lot of reading. As a new member to Time4Learning, you may find these Hints and Helps page helpful.

I wouldn't worry too much about your ability to teach him. The best learning happens naturally and through lots reading. One of my goals with my children was to foster a love for reading, because then the learning comes almost naturally.

Enjoy your homeschooling journey!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

WaltzerFamily is offline Junior Member

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the welcome ladies! So far things are going really well. Aiden loves the lessons, and is moving right along. This is our second week, and Aiden and I are finding what really works for us. I'm really proud of how well he is doing. He loves the lessons, and he works hard on his other work so he can get to his "computer time." An "Accidental Homeschool" is a very apt description, but I am finding I enjoy it more then I thought I would!
    bailbrae and lovehmschlg like this.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I am so happ0y things are working out well so far! Homeschooling can be a wonderful experience. Don't be discouraged if you have a little slump, just work through it and keep going! Honestly, I didn't think I would enjoy homeschooling either but amazingly, I do, most days anyway LOL! Happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!