• 1 Post By Janina
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By Janina
  • 1 Post By Janina

Thread: Hello from Texas~

Janina is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from Texas~

Hello parents!

I am so excited to be here! I am even more excited to find a program that my son already loves!!
    I am a certified elementary teacher, so anything that makes learning fun, excites me!

Why am I here? Well, I quit teaching in public school about 6 years ago due to the stiff laws! I also got tired of teaching to the state mandated test! It was just not enjoyable anymore!

Last year when my son started kindergarten, I was miserable and so was he! The public school he had enrolled in was dark, dreary, and boring! My son is about a year advanced in his academics, therefore he was not being challenged at all. During Christmas break, I decided to withdraw him and keep him home since kindergarten is not mandatory in Texas.

Now he will begin 1st grade, and the state has decided to do away with GT classes. Well, looks like he would be in same situation, bored and unchallenged! I was dreading this! So, last night in doing a little research, I came across this program and am thrilled that I did! Online games used for learning! How fun is that?! Being I have always been a hands-on teacher, using lots of fun manipulatives in the classroom, I was overjoyed!

I have now set my home office up as a mini classroom, printed the student activity schedule and am reviewing the scope & sequence. Not only do I get to keep my baby boy home with me, I get to do what I once enjoyed doing...teach!!

Looking forward to becoming family this school year!

~Janina
    JJ06Mom likes this.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums Janina. Yes, time4learning is fun and they still learn. My son loves it. Has for 6 years now.
    bailbrae likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Janina, welcome to Time4Learning and homeschooling. Your excitement is infectious! I'm so excited for you and your little boy. It sounds like you'll have fun right along with him as you teach him. You can use some of the lessons to create lapbooks for him. The time4learning Facebook page just shared this article from one of the moms here at time4learning who does lapbooking. I have found some great ideas at Pinterest to add to the lessons, just for fun activities. Our daughter loves Time4Learning. Sometimes I'll hear her laughing while doing her lessons, and I go over to check to make sure she's still on the program. Sure enough, she is. She just thinks the characters are hilarious. So it's a plus that she's having fun while learning!!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums. I'm sure you can add some great ideas as a hands-on teacher.
    Enjoy your homeschooling journey!!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

I am glad to see it goes through high school! I feel so relieved!!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Thank you! I did not realize there is a Facebook page for the program! Will check it out now.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

fatima3339 is offline Junior Member

Hi Janina,
    Where in Texas do you live? We live on the border of Hurst and Ft. Worth. I am a mom of 2 boys on the Spectrum....I will be home schooling my oldest one, who was in a program in our ISD for kids with disabilities w/behavioral problems, but they have failed to teach him the skills he needs to deal with stress and frustration to participate in general education and have smashed his self-esteem into the ground. So I will be starting him next Monday with Time4Learn, so that I will also be able to include social skills and life skills lessons in his day. I am a little nervous but I believe that he will do great with this program. Glad to meet you! Tina

fatima3339 is offline Junior Member

Default Introduction

Hi, My Name is Tina and I am new to the home schooling situation. I will be home schooling my oldest son, who will be 13 in Nov, due to the failure of the special program that he was in due to his disability causing behavioral problems. I have two sons with ASDs and my oldest was in a program for kids with disabilities with behavioral problems in our ISD. At the end of the school year and during his first time in Extended School Year just how severely this program failed my child. So I decided to home school him so that he can continue to get his basic education plus be able to get social skills and life skills that were suppose to be taught to him, but never were. I also need to rebuild my child's self-esteem! We live on the border of Hurst and Fort Worth and would love to connect with other parents of children on the Spectrum that are home schooling their children and possible work together in helping our kids with their social skills and life skills. Hoping everyone a wonderful school year!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Tina! Welcome! Thanks so much for chiming and introducing yourself and your family. Please feel free to poke around all of the boards here, to see what conversations you can jump into and who you can meet. You may find the Special Needs forum, the New to Homeschool forum and the Texas homeschool forum especially helpful.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing you around...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!