Hello from Wisconsin

Smile Hello from Wisconsin

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and new to home schooling as well. I just recently pulled my 6th grader out of public education because I felt like he wasn't learning anything and his behavior was horrible. My son suffers from ADHD as well as ODD which was diagnosed recently. What do you guys do to relax and keep stress down? Have any of you received any back lash because you decided to home school?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome! So glad you found us!

I'm sorry that you and your son were having trouble in public school. Homeschooling could be a great thing for you guys! As far as relaxing and keeping stress down, I would say that you should take a little while to "de-school." Sounds funny, but it helped us a lot when we pulled our son from the public school system. I didn't know anything about homeschooling, and I tried to recreate school at home, right from day one. We were really struggling. After a few months, I learned about de-schooling. Basically, it's giving you and your son time to do away with what you know of public school and get used to the idea of educating at home. Take time to get to know how your son learns best (does he learn better with visual aids, or is he more hands-on; does he prefer listening to something, rather than reading it, etc.), and decide how you want your day to go. Do you want it super scheduled? Do you want to be more flexible and just take the day as it comes?

I did receive a good bit of negativity when I started homeschooling, but I got through it. It's hard...people get stuck in what they think the "norm" should be, and if homeschooling isn't their "norm" they question it. You just have to know that if you feel homeschooling is a better option for your family than public school, it's your business, not anyone else's. Sometimes, just having an outlet to vent in, or get support from, makes all the difference in the world. The forums here are a good place to do that. We have a Wisconsin homeschool forum where you can try and connect with others who are local to you. We also have a special needs forum, where you can see how other families are homeschooling with ADHD and ODD.

I would like to recommend you read this Welcome to Homeschooling ebook. It's got a lot of great information, especially for new homeschoolers, but it's easy to read and get through, so it won't overwhelm you. Also, here is a Hints and Help page that can help you learn more about T4L and how the site works.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!