Hi all, Newbie from Michigan here!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Strouse House

Thread: Hi all, Newbie from Michigan here!

Default Hi all, Newbie from Michigan here!

Hi all, I'm a newbie to home schooling from Michigan. At the moment I am only homeschooling my oldest. He is 10 and supposedly in the 5th grade. He has ADHD and dyslexia. The school has just basically been passing him along from grade to grade with no real effort made to catch him up to his classmates. He is so smart and after a bout with appendicitis last winter I taught him both multiplication and division in the 2 weeks he was home to recover. His teacher claimed he was still mastering adding and subtracting over 4 digits( a skill I knew he had mastered the previous year). Since their own scoring reflected that he had lost ground in mathematics I decided it was in his best interest to learn elsewhere so here we are! I have to admit, the closer we get to the start of the year the more nervous I am.I think he will thrive on the 1:1 attention he will get homeschooling but I am really nervous about finding the gaps in his education and filling them. I really want to get him completely caught up by 7th grade but I may be shooting high. I think he may be a lot farther behind than I think after last years spectacular lack of progress. This is exciting though. There is so much to explore and so many resources out there! I think we can have a much better curriculum and many, many more opportunities than the school provides. I'm already planning field trips I hope everybody out there has a successful year and I'm hoping to glean some great tips from these forums!

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning.com. One of the things I love about time4learning.com is that we are able to let our children work at their own pace and if they move forward in one subject faster then another you can adjust them. Example at one point my son was in 4th grade Language Arts and in 5th grade Math. Your son will be able to move at his own pace and sounds like that is just what he needs. I new one family who did one subject a day. Instead of 4 subjects a day. They concentrated on Math and did lots of the math sections on Monday and Wed and then did the other 3 subjects on Tues, Thur and Fri. You can do this curriculum any way you want!

There are so many different ways of using time4learning.com. I hope you find what works best for you and your son.
    gardenmama123 likes this.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.