Hi from Howard County MD
    mrsgemma76 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Hi from Howard County MD

Hi everyone. So I'm considering pulling my 15 y.o. son from high school by the beginning of April. I am extremely overwhelmed with all the resources available to me. To tell the truth it's a bit intimidating. I have skimmed through letshomehighschool.com and thehomeschoolmom.com and there are plenty of resources, I just don't know where to start. My husband and myself work full-time but beginning in April I am going to start teleworking 2 days a week and my hours will be flexible on the other days. I just need to talk with someone to get the all rolling. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi from Howard County MD

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Are you considering Time4Learning for a homeschool curriculum? Many people who are new to homeschooling enjoy having everything online, and they start out just having their kids do the lessons in sequence.

I'm glad you've already found the Let's Homeschoool High School site!

Each state has its own homeschool laws and they are all very different. Maryland actually has three "homeschool" options in their laws, but only the first one is actually homeschooling. I'll paste the rules below with my comments in blue, but here is some information about maintaining a homeschool diploma when using Time4Learning as your curriculum. My comments below aren't legal advice. They're just an experienced homeschool moms interpretation of the laws, which change frequently, so use them only as a starting point.

Option 1: Homeschooling under the portfolio option:
    To homeschool under this option, you’ll need to follow these guidelines.

1. File a Notice of Consent form with your superintendent.

Your child could be considered truant if you withdraw him or her from school without immediately filing this form. Kelly's Note: I found the form online here: Maryland Homeschool Notification
    On the form, select the legal option under which you are homeschooling (the portfolio option). Kelly's Note: This is option A on the form. The name of your homeschool is NOT Time4Learning, because Time4Learning isn't a school. It's a homeschool curriculum. For example, if you were using textbooks to teach your child instead of an online curriculum like Time4Learning, you would not put the name of the textbooks or the textbook publisher or the book store where you purchased them for the name of your homeschool. You can name your homeschool anything you like. Since my last name is "Stone" and I thought the word "hearth" sounded home-y, our homeschool has always been called "Hearthstone Academy". You can use Smith Homeschool, Jones Family Academy, etc.

2. Teach the required subjects.

The required subjects are math, English, social studies, science, art, music, health, and physical education. Kelly's Note: The state doesn't dictate the content of the subjects, so you are free to choose ANY social studies, science, etc. curriculum . . . add to it . . . delete things . . . or make up your own curriculum.

3. Provide the required instruction.

You must provide regular, thorough instruction in the required subjects. This instruction must be “of sufficient duration” to implement your instructional program. Kelly's Note: This state does not require a certain number of hours or days. The schedule is up to you. Many homeschoolers school only at night, on the weekends, or school through the summer.

4. Maintain a portfolio.

You must maintain a portfolio of your educational materials. This should include instructional materials and reading materials, as well as examples of your child’s writing, worksheets, workbooks, creative materials, and tests. Kelly's Note: See the link I pasted above about maintaining a homeschool portfolio. Time4Learning's printable reports help make this easy.

5. Respond to your superintendent’s requests to review your portfolio.

The local superintendent can review your portfolio at a mutually agreeable time and place. He or she can do this only three times a year. (In practice, this usually happens once or twice a year.)

6. Be aware that the school cannot impose additional requirements.

Local school systems cannot impose additional requirements for your homeschool, other than those listed in Maryland’s regulations.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!