hi from NC

Thread: hi from NC

gohnmichele is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default hi from NC

hello, very new to home school and time4learning. we were hoping to start fresh with the next school year (5th grade) but found it impossible to complete this current year. Confused how to pick up this late in the year and get ready for EOG's. Any suggestions?

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to T4L!! My name is Michelle (aka pandahoneybee) and I am the moderator for the NC forum, so lets make sure I have this right you pulled your kiddo out this year?? You don't have to have them tested this first year it is required to test them within a year of pulling them from school. I did personally get my boys tested before that first year BUT it was more for me to see exactly where they were at. There are tons of placement tests online if you google it if you are wanting to find out where your kiddos are at. I would suggest making the rest of this year a fun filled one... educational field trips, camps offered by the state or town, even focusing on something that your kiddos are into and want to learn about. OR any problem areas (even though I never say problems areas to my boys just say things we need to work on Like this summer we are doing spanish, geography and writing and that's it

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best to answer them!!

RELAX AND BREATHE it is all going to work out!

Here is right from the NC homeschool site
    Must my other child also be tested (when I test my currently home schooled child) after I take that other child out of a conventional school during the current school year and begin home schooling him/her?That other child would have to then be tested before one year from the date he/she first officially enrolled in your home school. That other child would then need to be re-tested annually each year thereafter.
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

bgillis310 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I too am new and live in NC. I haven't pulled my son yet but started this as an afterschool activity to introduce both of us to it. Can you tell me more about the "testing"? Thanks, Barb

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I would suggest that you click on the links that PandaHoneyBee posted in the last post. They are much more familiar with NC laws than I am. I'm sure they will be able to help you a lot. Welcome to homeschooling.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Wendy Collins CW is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bgillis310 View Post
    I too am new and live in NC. I haven't pulled my son yet but started this as an afterschool activity to introduce both of us to it. Can you tell me more about the "testing"? Thanks, Barb
    I am in NC too and ha to pull both of mine out of school, got them home to find out hey knew basically 10% of the core from K up and I have a 4th and 6th grader, we have played catch up, done the 50 states, ancient civilizations, US history, NA History and so on for all subjects except math and LA, they were way ahead on those 2, my 4th grader has passed 3rd, 4th and 5th LA and Extenstion and 4th and 5th math, my son was sick most of the last 2 school years and was still ahead in math and LA.

I took pandahoneybees advise and we started end of Feb, for each topic that I wanted to catch up on they got to pick a field trip and something they wanted to know, my daughter wants to be a Vet so she has spent a lot of time on biology and Animal Science where my son wants to be a Game test (go figure) so he has spent a lot of time on math and basic computer skills from books we got at a thrift shop.

We have been to a restaurant of every ethnic food we can find, fire dept, police dept, court (yes had to testify for a hit and run so I took them for a government trip), we have been camping, hiking, fishing and had a lot of fun while they learned alot and got a lot caught up by their own wants really.

I never believed in unschooling but when it was suggested I was already worn out after just a few weeks of packing too much in and said what the heck lets see, they have probably done more work since they did what they wanted, we had more fun and grades are up there when we test in T4L so Im happy all around.

Im outside of Winston Salem, if you are close by we could share some books Ive picked up form my 6th grader that he is not using right now.

On testing I plan to order the PASS test by the end of the month then 6 months later do the CAT just to see the difference and which one I prefer to use for the future.