Hi new to homeschooling this year
    sweeteve30 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hi new to homeschooling this year

Hi ladies,my name is Evie. I am new to to homeschooling this year. We decided to homeschool a few days before school started back,we had thought about it for about two years and this year something inside me just said it was time.We live in NW Indiana and I have 3 girls 8,9,and 13. We went with Abeka for my oldest but to be honest it's just not working for her,and my two youngest I have been coming up with their lessons on my own which I feel like I am failing them both. I have been looking into A Time4Learning.I was wondering anyone had any advice they could give me.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Evie.
    We've been homeschooling 13 years and using T4L for 5 years. It's not unusual for families to start homeschooling at this time of year when school break for the winter/holidays and families are discouraged with their kids' brick and mortar education or the school system.

There's a plethora of homeschool curriculum to choose from. Abeka is a good program. We used it with our oldest in elementary. However, like all curriculum, it's not for every child. I can tell you what we like about Time4Learning. My daughter is a visual learner. She likes the interactive and animated lessons. The lessons are engaging and she's enjoying learning. Before we found T4L, we were using workbooks and although she was doing the work, she was not retaining or enjoying learning. At times it seemed like a chore to do school. Now there's no fussing to do school. I like that she's learning to work independently. If she's worked on a lesson on her own, I can easily go to the Progress Reports and see her scores. If she scored low, we repeat the lesson together so I can see where she's having difficulty. These progress reports are printable, which makes record-keeping easy. I think T4L is especially helpful for new homeschoolers because lessons are already planned, so no lesson planning for us to do. You can use T4L as your sole curriculum or supplement. We supplement Social Studies and Science. My daughter likes to watch educational movies and read good books, too. T4L also has worksheets for some of the lessons.
    Another good thing about T4L is no contract or long term commitment. It's a month to month membership. I can tell you of one time I purchased a history curriculum for my kids that cost me over $100, and it got used for one month because it didn't work for us.

Evie, as a new homeschooler, you may find this Homeschool Guide helpful. This was put together by some veteran homeschool moms here at T4L. Just click on the link. And if you decide to go with T4L, then this is a link for Hints and Helps in using T4L.

Enjoy your homeschooling journey! Feel free to ask questions here and take a peak around the forums.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 12-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

sweeteve30 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for all the info,we tried the demo's with the girls,they seem to like them!! So I'm super excited about that. These past few months have felt like a chore and none of us were enjoying it.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Oh, good! I'm glad you tried it and they liked it.
    I think it's important to make learning fun, especially in elementary grades. As they grow older, they'll be better independent learners. I have two older kids doing homeschool high school. Sometimes 'school' is a chore for them, but responsibilities can't always be fun. I'm happy they love reading! That's another thing to instill in them at an early age, is a love for reading. I did a lot of reading with them...still do.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass