Homeschooling 10 year old son after dust-up with local school
    Grace is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooling 10 year old son after dust-up with local school

After multiple bullying issues at my son's school followed by the principal refusing to relay emergency contact info or contact my partner when I and my boys were in a vehicle accident, I have pulled him from what passes as their 4th grade and have started him on 5th grade with T4L.

A bit about me - I am self educated myself, (sadly my extremely abusive parents used the mantle of "homeschooling" to isolate myself and eight siblings from the world to hide the extreme abuse n the home). I was married for 11 years, have been separated for 2 1/2 and finally got my divorce last June; I moved to the Atlanta, GA area from TX and my partner moved down from RI. I'm bi and atheist, so don't fit into most of the very conservative local Christian homeschool groups.

Also in the picture, a bright little 4 year old son who is doing great in PreK despite a speech delay and a talented oboe playing 12 year old daughter! My 10 year old son is who will be using T4L; he has a broken arm from the accident, and this online course will be very easy for him to do. He's an avid gamer and I think this format is an excellent way for him to learn!

Glad to be here and looking forward to picking brains

Liz E is offline Member

I wish you the best of luck with homeschooling. It sounds like it is the right choice in your circumstances. I give you a lot of credit for doing it despite your experience with it.

Don't feel funny about fitting in because there are all types of homeschoolers. Technically we are Christian homeschoolers because we go to church, but conservative we are not. We are carless, urban homeschoolers and the church we go to has clergy and other folks that are not straight. We belong to a Christian homeschooling group in our area and a much larger more general one that seems to have everyone. I would think that in Atlanta there would have to be all types of homeschoolers since it is an urban area. Hopefully, you are in the city or not too far out of it.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to T4L, Grace and family First I wanted to give you the GA state forum link because I believe that it is a pretty active group and they might be able to help you all find a local group. IF they can't then there is a Secular Homeschool Resource that might be helpful as well

Sorry that you all had such a hard with the school system ( and all the things in the past as well) my childhood wasn't a picnic but it most def made me a stronger person who now homeschools her kiddos My boys both went into the system and the oldest made it thru to the 5th grade before i got smart and realized that he needed to get the hell out of there. Bullying was only one of the problems we had, finally it was like someone hit me with a iron skillet! I realized that I loved my boys and I COULD homeschool them. SO that's what I did!! hubby was like if you are sure then do it! He was the only one who could have maybe and I say maybe talked me out of it BUT I was knew it was the only thing I could do to get my oldest especially back to the happy kiddo he once was.

I hope that you can find a local group that doesn't judge people, if not then we can be your online support group!!! Just hollower out if you need something!! My boys totally loved the cartoon lessons so I think that your son will too. Be prepared he might be laughing but he is still learning!! Both boys thought that a couple of the characters were too funny!!

Welcome again and best of luck!!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Grace! My boys (ages 7 and 12) are also avid gamers. They have been using T4L for 5 years and have loved it!

I do hope you find a homeschool group that works for your family. Atlanta (or at least parts of it, lol) is just a great melting pot of people. If you are in a rural area, it might be a little harder to find a group that is less conservative, but keep looking...they are out there!

Like Panda said above, everyone here has been a great support group. I know it's not the same as having a group of people near you; but having a place to vent, ask questions and share your experiences is so important. And you can do that here while you keep looking for a local group that fits you.

I know Panda invited you to the GA forum, but as the moderator of that particular group I would also like to say please join us.

Looking forward to chatting with you more...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

mcbzwyf99 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Welcome Grace!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    After multiple bullying issues at my son's school followed by the principal refusing to relay emergency contact info or contact my partner when I and my boys were in a vehicle accident, I have pulled him from what passes as their 4th grade and have started him on 5th grade with T4L.

A bit about me - I am self educated myself, (sadly my extremely abusive parents used the mantle of "homeschooling" to isolate myself and eight siblings from the world to hide the extreme abuse n the home). I was married for 11 years, have been separated for 2 1/2 and finally got my divorce last June; I moved to the Atlanta, GA area from TX and my partner moved down from RI. I'm bi and atheist, so don't fit into most of the very conservative local Christian homeschool groups.

Also in the picture, a bright little 4 year old son who is doing great in PreK despite a speech delay and a talented oboe playing 12 year old daughter! My 10 year old son is who will be using T4L; he has a broken arm from the accident, and this online course will be very easy for him to do. He's an avid gamer and I think this format is an excellent way for him to learn!

Glad to be here and looking forward to picking brains
    I was new to homeschooling a year ago, and I am still nervous and excited! We too had issues with the public school system. Bullying was one issue, but my 13 year old has severe asthma and allergies, and gets sick very easily, and could miss up to 48 days a year, or more. The school gave us such a hard time about his absentism, but I always had Doctors excuses. We moved about 35 miles away from our original home, and that school was NOT very welcoming AT ALL! I had become unemployed in Dec 2010, so I talked my husband into letting me homeschool our son.

I have 2 friends on Facebook, that I use for support, and they are the ones that told me where to go to get the legal form to pull him out of the public school system, and it only took me 2 days to find Time4learning, and knew it was for us I pay quarterly, which is a much better savings than monthly. We absolutely love T4L and I'm sure you will too.

There are several forums here that help by reading, and asking questions of your own, plus there are several sites on Facebook that I use. If you have a Facebook account, just type homeschool into the search bar. If you like the sounds of the forums on there, just click like, and they will put status updates in your new feed. Any questions, or if ya need to chat e-mail me [email protected] Just be sure to put T4L in the subject box Best of luck to you!!

shelly is offline Junior Member Newbie

hi my name is shelly and i have a 10 year old son also any advice you can give me will help this is my first year. THANKS