Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bbooth
  • 1 Post By bbooth
  • 1 Post By goldgarnet
  • 1 Post By katshu2

Thread: How many hours/days per year?

bbooth is offline Member

Question How many hours/days per year?

I know it varies from state to state, but I would like to know how many hours a day do you homeschool?
    How many days a year are required? I have spoken to the receptionist at the school board and she was unable to tell me what is a typical average. I live in Virginia.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Virginia Homeschooling Laws - How to Home School Legally in VA | A2Z Homeschooling

I see nothing in the law that states a number of hours per day or days per school year. For my son I started out with about 30 minutes of instruction per day. Now at fifth grade he does about two hours per day three days per week. This does not include field trips.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

bbooth is offline Member

Thank you for checking on that for me, I also found that required hours are not stated for Virginia.
    bailbrae likes this.

goldgarnet is offline Junior Member Newbie

The amount of time each student spends on homeschool academics/activities depends on whomever is leading the instruction.

You could follow the amount of time spent on instruction as found at a physical public or private school...however, I suspect most families who choose to homeschool are aiming for a different type of education.

It depends on whether or not your child needs to "unschool" to recover emotionally from a disturbing or otherwise traumatic experience. It also depends on what your educational goals are for your student(s).

A homeschooled student can spend less time on instruction than what they might experience at a public school because the education is tailored to one student instead of 32 students.

You might start with 1/2 to 1/3 the amount to time that a public school spends on academic instruction.

Remember to include gratifying rewards for your students, and plan for social activities with other children and include an exercise plan, too.

Because a homeschool is essentially a private school, no state will advise you on any part of instruction. It is up to each private school to set educational goals. Those goals may include the educational goals (for each grade) set by the state, or they may include AND exceed them, or your educational goals may be customized for your specific student, which may fall short of state goals, but be the right goals for your student at this time.

When you homeschool, you get to set the plan.
    bbooth likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldgarnet View Post
    The amount of time each student spends on homeschool academics/activities depends on whomever is leading the instruction.

You could follow the amount of time spent on instruction as found at a physical public or private school...however, I suspect most families who choose to homeschool are aiming for a different type of education.

It depends on whether or not your child needs to "unschool" to recover emotionally from a disturbing or otherwise traumatic experience. It also depends on what your educational goals are for your student(s).

A homeschooled student can spend less time on instruction than what they might experience at a public school because the education is tailored to one student instead of 32 students.

You might start with 1/2 to 1/3 the amount to time that a public school spends on academic instruction.

Remember to include gratifying rewards for your students, and plan for social activities with other children and include an exercise plan, too.

Because a homeschool is essentially a private school, no state will advise you on any part of instruction. It is up to each private school to set educational goals. Those goals may include the educational goals (for each grade) set by the state, or they may include AND exceed them, or your educational goals may be customized for your specific student, which may fall short of state goals, but be the right goals for your student at this time.

When you homeschool, you get to set the plan.
    Hello, and thank you so much for jumping in!

You have some great advice, but I would say for everyone to check out the homeschool laws in their state. Some states do get into the instruction of a homeschooler. Maybe not so much as dictating instruction (I'm not sure though)...using Massachusetts as an example, I believe your homeschool curriculum has to be approved by the school board. I've never really heard of a case where a homeschooler submitted something and wasn't approved, but that doesn't mean it's never happened, lol. Additionally, some states give homeschoolers options...they can operate as a "homeschool," under an umbrella school, or they can be a part of a homeschool association where all of the homeschool families under that association are considered "private schools."
    bbooth likes this.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

bbooth is offline Member

Thank you both very much, you have helped me have a better understanding of this!