I'm almost in tears. Feeling overwhelmed in Texas.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fairylover

Thread: I'm almost in tears. Feeling overwhelmed in Texas.

faeryphoebe1 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy I'm almost in tears. Feeling overwhelmed in Texas.

Hello, I'm late to the party. My kids' ages are 12 (sixth grade) and 15 (ninth grade) and I've never homeschooled before.

Basically, I'm leaving an abusive marriage in the next 2 weeks and without hubby's income, I will no longer be able to afford my children's expensive private school.
    I will be withdrawing them from their school next week. I don't even know what to tell the headmaster, I'm so nervous.

The funny thing is that it's always been my dream to do this. I've wanted to homeschool them for about 5 years. However, my entire family has always been against it and unfortunately, they still are.

Despite having gone to private schools, my kids often struggle to learn. They don't learn well in a traditional classroom setting. They've spent the last year in a specialized school for kids with ADHD and high functioning autism. Both kids have ADHD but my 12 year old son has Aspergers, which for him, presents itself as more of a social issue. He has very black and white thinking.

I spent loads of money getting them tested and into this school, but I still feel that they are not really learning as much as they should or what they should.

It's as if they went from a very rigorous, traditional class setting where the material went over their heads to a setting where the material at times is not challenging enough. In addition, the school they attend has some very strict policies regarding reading material. They don't even allow Harry Potter books. Their library does not carry a large variety of books.

Anyhow, I've been perusing articles in the Texas Home School Coalition and I've familiarized myself with the requirements to homeschool a Texas child as well as the daytime curfew laws in my area (San Antonio) and what to say if someone asks me why my children are not at school.

Where I'm stumped is with the many choices of curriculum. I'm so afraid that I'll pick the wrong one for my kids. I've joined here to hopefully learn more about time4learning.

Lastly, (sorry this is so long), can a single mom who's off 3 days a week do this successfully? I work late evenings and can still devote a half day of school on my workdays. I have a Bachelor of Science, so I'm quite familiar with Biology, Earth Sciences, Anatomy and Physiology and Chemistry. The chemistry is a bit trickier for me.

Originally, I was going to get a degree in Journalism and took many writing classes in high school and college, so hopefully I'll be okay with teaching English. I speak Spanish (a bit rusty), so I know that this will help me teach them a foreign language. I may need a tutor for the more advanced high school math when my daughter gets there. Any advice is appreciated.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry that you are having so much trouble. First, let me say that you should take a deep breath and try to relax, you live in a great state to homeschool! The regulations for homeschooling in Texas are very easy. You can homeschool with your schedule, you will just have to be flexible. Remember that while there may be local rules and regulations about whether your children are out in public during school hours, but it doesn't matter if you actually do the schooling during school hours. Time4Learning can be used as a complete curriculum for both your middle and high school student at a low cost. I hope this helps a bit. Know that we are here to answer any specific questions you might have. You might check with the Texas forum to see if they can offer specific information for your state. Good luck and let us know how things go. You can do this!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Thank you for the reassurance, Linda. I do need to stop and take a deep breath. The stress has been a bit much lately.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Please know that many of us on here are in the same situation that you are. A messy divorce can be stressful enough and then add in the struggles of your children, well, just know that many of us have been there or currently are there. We need to stick together in difficult times. My first word of advice is to find a good local homeschool support group. An online group is awesome and can give great support, but there is nothing like a nearby mom who can hold your hand, give you a hug, or take the kids for a few hours.

In my opinion, your kids are old enough to do a lot of the work for themselves. You can work with them in the morning on the tasks that they are struggling with. Then give them assignments to do while you are at work. The next morning you can go over these assignments with them. Have you made arrangements for someone to supervise the kids while you work? I know they are old enough to stay alone. But they may not be mature enough to handle all the transitions right now. Maybe a neighbor or grandparent who is willing to check in with them while you are gone.

Take things slow and easy. Relax as much as you can. You will survive this. I applaud your courage to leave and abusive spouse. Many women never find this courage.
    MamaToHerRoo and faeryphoebe1 like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

ShirleyChavis is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello, My name is Shirley, and I have two kids with Asperger's and one goes to private school, and I chose to help one do home schooling though this opportunity. My 13 year old has social issues also. He is a loner, doesn't make friends well, he tries hard to fit in, but it seems like public school bores him to death. He logged on today for the first time to work on some work. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out for him... Good luck to you, I was in an abusive situation, my abuser broke both of my arms before I left. But I did it, and you can too. You do it for yourself, and for your children. I am proud of you for making the first steps. This is Domestic Violence awareness month, any shelter will help you to either educate your kids, or to place them in new schools while the whole things plays out... There are a lot of resources out there to help you....I have walked that path for along time...Proud of you.

Thank you, Kathi. That's great advice about giving them assignments to do while I'm at work. I feel so guilty about pulling them out of their school (that will be happening this coming Wednesday). I'm anxious about what I will say to the headmaster but plan on giving him a letter of intent to withdraw.

There are some local homeschooling groups in my city that I need to look into joining.

Luckily, my mother will be watching my kids during my work hours.