I'm new and having some problems
    dlguernsey79 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question I'm new and having some problems

I have a 7th grader who has been in brick and mortar schools from the beginning. She was having behavioral problems, so we pulled her to keep an eye on her. She's having a hard time adapting and seems to not be getting the circullum. She's flunking alot of the quizzes and such on here. Any suggestions and help would be great. She is also Bi-Polar. I don't know wether she's just not concentrating or if she's really not understanding it. Thanx in advance!!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry you're having these issues with your daughter. There could be a couple of things going on. One is that she may just need time to adjust to not being in school. Many families take a few weeks or a few months to deschool. Let her work on only those things that interest her for a while. Then after a time start to slowly introduce the other subjects back into her life. It is also possible that she is just not understanding the material. You could drop back a level and see how she does with that. I find with my ten year old that I have to sit right beside him or he can not focus on the work. It's not that he doesn't understand it, he just doesn't focus unless I'm there to remind him. If he seems to not understand the material we do the lesson over again. You can do the lessons as many ties as you need to. Another thing for him is to give him lots of breaks. I let him work for 15 or 20 minutes and then take a five minute break. He can run around the house or go get the mail or get a snack. After five minutes he comes back and is ready to work for another 15 or 20 minutes. Your daughter may benefit from that.

You might want to check in with the special needs forum to see what kind of advice you can get from them. Also the Kansas Parent Forum may help.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

dlguernsey79 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you for the advice. She seems to be doing better. I droppoed her down on a few of the subjects. She's understanding it better! Thanks again, so much!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm so glad it is helping. Please let us know if you ahve any other questions.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to time4learning.com. Kathi is just full of great advice today. I am glad she was able to get on the computer and help you out. No one ever said homeschooling was easy. It takes time to get a schedule going. I agree w/ Kathi in that she might need some de-schooling. The holiday's are a great time to do that btw.

I hope all will work out and smooth out for you soon.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.