Intro- Once again we're back to Time4learning
    smbrate is offline Junior Member

Default Intro- Once again we're back to Time4learning

okay, hs mom of 10, 9 and 5yo. we've gone back and forth, and i think i've finally come back. I had always leaned toward time4learning as i know my kids liked it, but couldn't figure out if they were learning anything... anyways, with supplementing math sheets and such, i think we have it anyone else do this?

Liz E is offline Member

Welcome back! When I worry that they need a little more in depth knowledge in math I include some practice on ixl.com or have them use pennies or other things for concepts. I actually wrote about this today:

Homeschooling in Buffalo: Getting Ahead in Math by Taking Your Time

Dinomom13 is offline Junior Member

I have discussions with my daughter regarding Science and Social Studies concepts she's covering on Time4Learning. In Language Arts and Math, I check her scores to see how she's doing.

We supplement - but in a fun way. We rarely use worksheets. My daughter has Aspergers and tends to grasp concepts quickly in most subjects, but struggles in Reading Comprehension. I've got a set of remedial reading books that are each 16 pages long and have questions inside the back cover. We read one of those at least 3 times per week and cover the questions.

We also use KhanAcademy now and again. Daughter loves their brain teasers section.

We'll be starting Rosetta Stone Spanish next week, hopefully. Daughter's desktop is getting repaired, and her laptop eats CDs, so can't install it there.

If you think they need worksheets to solidify concepts, then use them. If there's a lot of math problems on a page, you might try having them do only the odd or even numbered ones initially. Then, you can check them. If they clearly seem to understand the concept (my % I require of daughter is 90% on things), then they don't have to do the rest. If they struggle, review the concept, and then have them do the remaining problems.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smbrate View Post
    okay, hs mom of 10, 9 and 5yo. we've gone back and forth, and i think i've finally come back. I had always leaned toward time4learning as i know my kids liked it, but couldn't figure out if they were learning anything... anyways, with supplementing math sheets and such, i think we have it anyone else do this?
    We haven't waivered and left T4L, but I used to get worried about what they were learning. After a while, I realized that they were in fact learning what they needed. We test (only minimally and ONLY because it's required by my state, lol) and every time they have taken a test, they test average or above average for their ages. We don't supplement with math. Not really. They play some math games on Learning Games for Kids, but that's more reinforcement than supplemental I think. They use another website for spelling and vocabulary, and they do a lot of independent reading. Science, social studies, history...those are areas where both of my boys WANT to supplement, so they do extra things in those subjects on a regular basis.

The great thing about homeschooling is we CAN waiver and keep trying new things, as well as old favorites, lol. So, welcome back...again!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!