Introductions Are In Order :)
    Brenda Prince is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Introductions Are In Order :)

So, we signed up today for Time4Learning and thought I would introduce myself. I am a mother of a 6 year old son with mild spectrum disorder.. He's extremely bright but is verbally delayed (although, has made leaps and bounds in the last 6 months) so he wasn't able to go to public schools. We are a military family and live on a base and the school did not have a special education program and wanted to bus him 45 miles away. So, I started homeschooling him and my 4 year old daughter together which has been an adventure. We've done a few other online programs for suppliments but mostly I have been making my own curriculum as I went. While he has learned alot (order of the planets, basic addition and subtraction, recognition of 11 states so far, and making progress with phonics) I just don't know if I have the structure in order to offer him a well rounded education. We thought about buying a curriculum set like Albecka or Paces but he just doesn't have the ability to just sit down to study that way. So I decided on trying this, in hopes that it would be able to hold his attention.

Anyway, I'm an older mom (36) with, in addition to my son and my 4 year old daughter, I also have a 13 year old daughter from my first marriage.. I'm currently married to a wonderful man (although, I should say I'm married to the Air Force.. or at least the F-22) and we are living at Edwards AFB in California.. I use to work as a respiratory therapist but after we moved here, I decided that since jobs were so hard to find, I would instead stay home and concentrate on my son.. Its a decision that, while can be frustrating, I do not regret as I feel I have done more with him then the school system could have.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Brenda, it's so nice to meet you. You will probably want to check out the California Parent Forum so you can keep up to date on the most current information for your state. You might also like the Military Forum. Both of them can be found by clicking on the drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums. If you want to check out the Special Needs Forum you can find it by clicking this link.

We have used Time4Learning for over five years now. My son loves it. Please let us know if you have any questions about anything.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota